Learn about the story of olive oil
Taste world-class olive oils and special Istrian dishes in a fun way. Your guides will be the members of the Lisjak family, the largest producer of olive oil in Slovenia.
Enjoy olive oil and traditional Istrian dishes
As you visit the largest family oil extraction plant in Slovenia, mix your own favourite combination of olive oil and, while tasting traditional Istrian dishes, learn about the wide range of applications of olives in cosmetics and industry. In just under three hours, you will learn how to recognise high-quality olive oil – and much more.
This is a story of olive oil, which you can listen to in old olive groves, in the middle of a high-tech laboratory, and on the edge of a coastal cliff at Strunjan Nature Reserve. Enjoy a real treat by taking a ride in legendary classic cars of the flower power generation, which have been recycled using olive wood and which, in their own way, left their mark on the people of the Primorska region and the history of the world. Have we mentioned that, as you travel, you’ll be able to enjoy the most beautiful views of the Slovenian coast?
Perhaps you didn’t know…
In the world, Slovenian Istria is synonymous with world-class oil. The reason? Its location in the very north of the Mediterranean and the cold that affects olive trees only to the extent that it increases the nutritional value of the oil.
You can join an experiential tour and taste a mixture of old Istrian oil varieties that have been around even up to 300 years.
Although the oil-making business of the Lisjak family is microscopic on a global scale, their oils have still received numerous awards and are used by the best restaurants in Slovenia and abroad.
Course of the experience:
- Meeting at a designated location and a ride in classic old-timer cars through Portorož and along the coastal road, past vineyards, through olive groves, and all the way to the Belvedere vantage point above the fishing town of Izola.
- A walk through old olive groves, learning about various olive varieties, tasting Istrian prosciutto ham and home-made sparkling wine at an imposing vantage point on the highest flysch cliff on the Adriatic coast.
- A ride past Izola on the coastal road to the Lisjak Family Olive Mill in the Istrian village of Krkavče.
- Arrival at the olive mill, a welcome including a traditional dish called ‘bobiči’ – an Istrian minestrone with corn.
- A tour of the oil mill, testing olive cosmetic products made of olive pits and a guided tasting of eight varieties of home-made oil.
- Return in classic old-timer cars.
Timetable: Every day, throughout the year.
Duration: 2.5 hours.
Start: Šalara 28, Koper.
Price: from 300€ (for group, min. 2 persons), which includes:
- a ride in classic old-timer cars,
- a tour of olive groves and learning about various olive varieties,
- a guided tasting of typical Istrian oils,
- a tasting of home-made sparkling wine and cosmetic products made from olives,
- traditional Istrian cuisine.
Enjoy a vintage gourmet tour
Go on a journey to discover old indigenous olive tree varieties which grow in the most beautiful vantage points on the Slovenian coast and in the Istrian countryside. Learn about the story of oil and taste traditional Istrian dishes.