A green boutique global destination for high-end visitors seeking diverse and active experiences, peace, and personal benefits. A destination of five-star experiences.
This is the vision of the tourist destination Slovenia, as perceived and pursued by the Slovenian Tourist Board (STB), the central national agency for the promotion of tourism, one of the most successful and promising industries in the Slovenian economy.
Systematic planning, development and promotion activities and a modern approach to the placement of Slovenia on the global tourist map – this is what has particularly helped the STB in recent years to increase the recognisability and reputation of the country as an authentic boutique destination for five-star experiences, which is committed to sustainability.
Slovenia – green boutique global destination
The core of all STB activities includes a sustained commitment, on which the placement of Slovenia as a green, active and healthy destination for five-star experiences is based. We are proud of the achievements in the 25 years of Slovenian tourism and of the fact that nowadays Slovenia is an example of good practices in the field of development and implementation of sustainable tourism on the global level. The Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism which is the central national certification tool, is of particular importance and it plays a special role in this.
Our key goals for 2018/2019
The 2018/2019 Work Programme of the Slovenian Tourist Board is based on strategic development and marketing guidelines that are proposed by the new 2017–2021 Strategy for the Sustainable Growth of Slovenian Tourism.
The key objectives are:
- Increasing Slovenia’s recognisability and image as a tourist destination under the brand I feel Slovenia.
- Sustainable growth by increasing arrivals and overnight stays throughout the year (365 days of Slovenian tourism).
- Geographic dispersion of flows across Slovenia – also with the support of implementing the concept of four macro destinations.
- Increasing consumption by extending the average duration of stay and consumption, and strengthening products with higher added value.
- Focusing on high-end visitors seeking high-quality, diverse, and active experiences, peace, and personal benefits.
High-profile business events, research, innovation and development projects and modern digital platforms
In foreign markets, the STB performs a number of activities to successfully promote and market Slovenia and to place it at the top of the most recognisable and desired countries. Thus, in cooperation with the Slovenian tourism industry, it carries out a number of marketing and communication activities per year, including approximately 140 business events in 30 countries around the world; 13,000 business meetings; it plays host to over 200 foreign journalists; and in Slovenia, it organises important professional events, such as the Slovenian Incoming Workshop and the Days of Slovenian Tourism, a tourism panel within the framework of the Bled Strategic Forum and the Green Day of Slovenian Tourism.
STB takes care of the promotion of Slovenia as a tourist destination through innovative and modern marketing tools and projects in the field of content-related digital marketing. The global digital campaign Make New Memories has recorded remarkable success, the central Slovenian tourist website Slovenia.info inspires and informs, whereas on the social networks of Feel Slovenia our destination has already reached almost a million followers.
Effective marketing of tourism at all levels is supported by the field of research – obtaining, analysing and providing information. A lot of important and relevant information can be found in the Market Profiles of eight markets which are most interesting for Slovenia and in the annual review titled Tourism in Numbers.
Recognitions and awards
The recognitions and awards received by the Slovenian Tourist Board in recent years, especially in the field of sustainable tourism, have also significantly contributed to the increased recognisability and the growing reputation of Slovenia. We are also proud of the international awards and recognitions received by Slovenia’s tourist destinations and cities.
Slovenia’s 'Healthy waters' campaign received the golden award in the 'Best in Wellness' category at the WTM London 2018. More
Slovenia was given the prestigious European Region of Gastronomy 2021 title. More
• At the ITB Berlin 2018 tourism trade show, the Slovenian Tourist Board received the Sustainable Destinations 2018 award in the Best of the Planet – Best of Europe category. Destinations with the Slovenia Green Destination label within the Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism and Ljubljana and Podčetrtek, as the holders of this golden label, were the winners in the Best of Europe category at the Global Top 100 Sustainable Destinations Awards. More
At the ITB Berlin tourism trade show, Slovenia was given the distinguished World Legacy Destination Leadership Award by National Geographic for its sustainable destination management. More
Slovenia was declared the first Green Country in the World at the ‘Global Green Destinations Day,’ which was held in Ljubljana. More
- At the ITB Berlin 2018 tourism trade show, the Slovenian Tourist Board received the Sustainable Destinations 2018 award in the Best of the Planet – Best of Europe category.
- Slovenia was given the prestigious European Region of Gastronomy 2021 title.
- At WTM London, Slovenia was given golden award in the category Best in Wellness by International Travel & Tourism Award for the campaign Healthy Waters.
- At the ITB Berlin tourism trade show, Slovenia was given the distinguished World Legacy Destination Leadership Award by National Geographic for its sustainable destination management.
- In September, Slovenia was declared the first Green Country in the World at the ‘Global Green Destinations Day.
Would you like to know more about us and our work?
Contact us, read more about our plans and strategies in key documents, monitor the latest Slovenian and European calls for applications in tourism, and check whether we are looking for new team members.