A green boutique global destination for high-end visitors seeking diverse and active experiences, peace, and personal benefits. A destination of five-star experiences.
This is the vision of the tourist destination Slovenia, as perceived and pursued by the Slovenian Tourist Board (STB), the central national agency for the promotion of tourism, one of the most successful and promising industries in the Slovenian economy.
Systematic planning, development and promotion activities and a modern approach to the placement of Slovenia on the global tourist map – particularly in recent years, this is what has helped the STB to increase the visibility and reputation of the country as an authentic boutique destination of five-star experiences, which is committed to sustainability.
Slovenia – green boutique global destination
The core of all STB activities includes a commitment to sustainability, and this forms the basis for Slovenia's placement as a green, active and healthy destination for five-star experiences. We are proud of Slovenian tourism's achievements in recent years and of the fact that Slovenia is today an example of good practice in the development and implementation of sustainable tourism at the global level. The Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism, the central national certification tool, is of particular importance and plays a special role in this. In our efforts to ensure safe and responsible tourism, we have upgraded our sustainable orientation with the Green & Safe brand, which communicates the responsible travel standards of Slovenian providers and destinations.
In 2020, the STB celebrated 25 years of operation.
Work Programme of the STB
The 2020/2021 Work Programme of the Slovenian Tourist Board is based on strategic development and marketing guidelines that are proposed by the 2017–2021 Strategy for the Sustainable Growth of Slovenian Tourism, while responding to the crisis situation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Part of the STB's work in 2021 is introducing some changes in marketing and, in the period of recovery, when the economy is unable to have a strong presence in foreign markets, it is also taking on an even greater role as a national marketing organisation.
2020-2023 Slovenian tourism recovery and resilience plan
The 2020-2023 Slovenian tourism recovery and resilience plan is based on five pillars to support the Slovenian tourism recovery and resilience:
PROVIDING A SAFE, SUSTAINABLE AND ATTRACTIVE EXPERIENCE
- Development and introduction of G&S standards
- Realising the vision for sustainable development
- Re-designing experiences
MITIGATING THE EFFECTS OF THE CRISIS AND ADJUSTMENT OF BUSINESS
- Government aid packages
- Inclusion in the national recovery and resilience plan
- Business adjustments
UNDERSTANDING CONSUMERS AND NEW SEGMENTATION
- New segmentation
MAXIMISING THE USE OF DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY
- Digital platforms for more effective marketing
- Digitalisation of business
- Increased business efficiency and new jobs
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS WITH TOURISTS AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES
- Customised content and positioning
- Customised markets
- Campaign My Slovenia
- Networking stakeholders
Even before the pandemic, the STB had come up with a formula to develop sustainable tourism industry, which, even in these difficult times, offers an answer to global tourism challenges and the sustainable competitive development of Slovenian tourism. We have also redefined the priority markets for Slovenian tourism for 2021 due to changes in travel habits as a result of the pandemic. We continue our promotional activities, focusing even more on the domestic and nearby markets. Through marketing activities aimed at clearly defined target segments, we are strengthening perceptions of Slovenia as a tourist destination for the discerning guest looking for a sustainable tourism offer and a safe experience. In line with trends, we have intensified the digitalisation of marketing, both in communication with tourism end uses and in communication with the business public.
High-profile business events, research, innovation and development projects and modern digital platforms
In foreign markets, the STB performs a number of activities to successfully promote and market Slovenia and to place it at the top of the most recognisable and desired countries. Thus, in cooperation with the Slovenian tourism industry, it carries out a number of marketing and communication activities per year, including approximately 140 business events in 30 countries around the world; 13,000 business meetings; it plays host to over 200 foreign journalists; and in Slovenia, it organises important professional events, such as the Slovenian Incoming Workshop and the Days of Slovenian Tourism, a tourism panel within the framework of the Bled Strategic Forum and the Green Day of Slovenian Tourism.
STB takes care of the promotion of Slovenia as a tourist destination through innovative and modern marketing tools and projects in the field of content-related digital marketing. The global digital campaign My way has recorded remarkable success, the central Slovenian tourist website Slovenia.info inspires and informs, whereas on the social networks of Feel Slovenia our destination has already reached almost a million followers.
Recognitions and awards
The recognitions and awards received by the Slovenian Tourist Board in recent years, especially in the field of sustainable tourism, have also significantly contributed to the increased recognisability and the growing reputation of Slovenia. We are also proud of the international awards and recognitions received by Slovenia’s tourist destinations and cities.
Slovenia received the Food and Travel Italia "Nation of the Year" award for excellence in the field of enogastronomy. More
STB received the Sustainable Top 100 Destination Awards in the Best of Europe 2020 category for introducing sustainable models in tourism at the national level. More
Virtuoso, the leading association in the luxury and boutique travel industry in the world, declared Slovenia the hottest destination of the year. 2019 More
Virtuoso, a leading association in the world in the luxury and boutique travel industry, nominated the Slovenian Tourist Board for the tourist board of 2018 and 2019. More
STB received four gold and two silver Golden City Gate Awards for Excellence at ITB Berlin for promotional and communication tools in tourism. More
Slovenia’s 'Healthy waters' campaign received the golden award in the 'Best in Wellness' category at the WTM London 2018. More
Slovenia was given the prestigious European Region of Gastronomy 2021 title. More
• At the ITB Berlin 2018 tourism trade show, the Slovenian Tourist Board received the Sustainable Destinations 2018 award in the Best of the Planet – Best of Europe category. Destinations with the Slovenia Green Destination label within the Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism and Ljubljana and Podčetrtek, as the holders of this golden label, were the winners in the Best of Europe category at the Global Top 100 Sustainable Destinations Awards. More
At the ITB Berlin tourism trade show, Slovenia was given the distinguished World Legacy Destination Leadership Award by National Geographic for its sustainable destination management. More
Slovenia was declared the first Green Country in the World at the ‘Global Green Destinations Day,’ which was held in Ljubljana. More
- Slovenia received the Food and Travel Italia "Nation of the Year" award for excellence in the field of enogastronomy.
- STB received two silver and one bronze award from The Golden City Gate Awards for Excellence for promotional and communication tools in tourism.
- STB received the Sustainable Top 100 Destination Awards in the Best of Europe 2020 category for introducing sustainable models in tourism at the national level.
- Virtuoso, the leading association in the luxury and boutique travel industry in the world, declared Slovenia the hottest destination of the year 2019.
- Virtuoso, a leading association in the world in the luxury and boutique travel industry, nominated the Slovenian Tourist Board for the tourist board of 2018 and 2019.
- STB received four gold and two silver Golden City Gate Awards for Excellence at ITB Berlin for promotional and communication tools in tourism.
- At the ITB Berlin 2018 tourism trade show, the Slovenian Tourist Board received the Sustainable Destinations 2018 award in the Best of the Planet – Best of Europe category.
- Slovenia was given the prestigious European Region of Gastronomy 2021 title.
- At WTM London, Slovenia was given golden award in the category Best in Wellness by International Travel & Tourism Award for the campaign Healthy Waters.
- At the ITB Berlin tourism trade show, Slovenia was given the distinguished World Legacy Destination Leadership Award by National Geographic for its sustainable destination management.
- In September 2016, Slovenia was declared the first Green Country in the World at the ‘Global Green Destinations Day.
Would you like to know more about us and our work?
Contact us, read more about our plans and strategies in key documents, monitor the latest Slovenian and European calls for applications in tourism, and check whether we are looking for new team members.