Identification of market potential
Reports on the market potential of key markets are intended for anyone marketing their tourist offer abroad or considering marketing abroad. Each report contains information about:
- structure of market and market potential
- presence and structure of the target population according to the segments
- travel motives and the purchase decision process for travelling within the region (Europe)
- perception and competitive positioning of the destination of Slovenia
- knowledge of, and experience with, visiting Slovenia, including the degree of recommendation
In 2018 we expanded the research on 7 additional markets: Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Comparative report of the research Identification of market potential compares the data among the surveyed markets.
Slovenia is, above all, perceived as a destination different from mass tourism. It is seen as a destination for explorers that enables relaxation in nature and adventurous holidays.
Proximity represents an important factor of Slovenia’s potential as a tourist destination, being slightly higher in neighboring countries, most notably in Austria and Hungary, followed by the Czech Republic.
Slovenia as a tourist destination, should focus on being boutique and on maximizing existing segments, with an important focus on some of the key strategic products, that will offer the possibility of spending quality time for the more demanding guests.
The target groups (personas) of Slovenian tourism
Who are the target groups of Slovenian tourism? The research of the personas was approached based on the key motivations in tourism that form the typical segments of tourists.
The results of the acquired information revealed 12 personas or target groups of Slovenian tourism, which differ in their attitude to spending free time, motives and expectations when choosing an individual destination, costs, spending habits etc. The tree key motives in determining segments and creating the target groups were experience as well as the concept of socialising and taking care of oneself.
Based on the dominant motive, the target groups are divided into three segment groups:
- EXPERIENCE (group type – explorers): adventurers, green explorers, active families, urban conscious;
- SOCIALISING (group type – companions): devoted mothers, active nostalgics, carefree youth, urban consumers, social foodies;
- TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF (group type – muses): spoiled lovers of beauty, forever young, relaxed escapists.
Survey of foreign tourists 2015
The results of the survey of foreign tourists carried out by the Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia in April, May, July, August, and September 2015 showed the following: Slovenia is mainly a holiday destination, followed by a business tourist destination at approx. 14%. 2/3 of the surveyed tourists had already visited Slovenia in the past, while just over 40% of tourists also included other countries in their travel in addition to Slovenia (mainly Croatia 62% and Italy 39%). Travelling with travel agencies was most appealing to British tourists (49%), and the average daily consumption by foreign tourists was €118 per day.
Survey of foreign tourists 2015 (the document is in Slovenian)