Feel the life energy of grapevines and wine
Learn about the wine-makers of Štajerska and the unique wine stories from the Štajerska Slovenia wine-growing district. Go on a journey from the famous heart-shaped road among vineyards to one of the largest and oldest wine cellars in Europe and to the oldest grapevine in the world.
Experience the gems of Štajerska wine growing
Go on a wine pilgrimage on one of Slovenia’s most beautiful wine roads. Pick your wine culture with a world-class sommelier and taste the pairing between local Štajerska wine varieties and selected local cuisine. Meet the wine-makers of Štajerska and capture the magical moment with a heart-shaped road among vineyards, which is considered to be one of the most beautiful views in Slovenia.
Lose your way in the wine catacombs under Maribor's old city centre. Make a toast under the canopy of the oldest grapevine in the world, the story of which includes survival of medieval fires, Turkish invasions, grapevine phylloxera, floods, and the bombings by Allied planes. This story will fascinate you and fill you with special energy.
Perhaps you didn’t know…
The more-than-450-year-old Old Vine from Lent has been included in the Guinness Book of World Records. Its branches have been planted next to the Wine Museum in Paris, in the Vatican Gardens, in Prague Castle, and next to the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
The capacity of the wine catacombs of the Vinag Cellar is 5.5 million litres, which is comparable in size to placing three football pitches next to each other.
Due to the significance of wine, there was a great risk of famine in the 18th century, because so many vineyards had been planted that there was a lack of fields with crops for producing food.
Annually, the Old Vine yields up to 40 kilograms of grapes, so the Pruning of the Old Vine and the Old Vine Festival, which ends with a ceremonial harvest, are held every year.
Course of the experience:
- Meeting your guide/sommelier in front of the Old Vine House.
- A ride to Svečina, a welcome with sparkling wine, and taking photographs next to the famous heart-shaped wine road.
- A wine tasting with expert explanation provided by a wine maker and sommelier; tasting of local specialities.
- A ride to the Vinag Wine Cellar in Maribor.
- A tour of the Vinag Wine Cellar, one of the oldest and largest classical wine cellars in Europe. A presentation of wine stories, climbing into a large concrete barrel, and wine tasting.
- A walk through the old city centre of Maribor to the Old Vine House in Lent.
- A tour of the Old Vine House and, optionally, taking photographs by the oldest grapevine in the world. An expert tasting of samples selected from among 190 wine varieties of the Podravje region. Making a souvenir from a cork stopper.
Timetable: Every day throughout the year.
Duration: 5 to 6 h
Start: Maribor, Old Vine House, or upon arrangement
Price: EUR 77 /person for 2 people, EUR 70 /person for groups of 6, which includes:
- wine tastings with expert explanation provided by a wine maker and an experienced sommelier,
- a glass of sparkling wine and taking photographs next to the famous heart-shaped road in Svečina,
- a visit to a wine maker, a tour of the cellar, and a tasting of up to seven different wines with expert explanation, and a local snack,
- a tour and wine tasting at the Vinag Cellar,
- admission fee and a tour of the Old Vine House, including a tasting with 5 wine samples and a snack,
- transport between locations, and
- a surprise souvenir.
Experience rich and noble wine tradition
Accompanied by a sommelier, embark on an unforgettable journey among picturesque vineyards, with friendly people, old wine cellars, and the vine of all vines.