Best from Slovenia
Best from Slovenia
The most pleasant way of discovering Slovenia is by tasting its guaranteed authentic traditional dishes.
Green, active and healthy Slovenia is a country of great diversity, reflected in its great variety of local products and cuisine. The most pleasant way of discovering Slovenia is by tasting its guaranteed authentic traditional dishes.
As the old saying goes, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. There is surely much truth in folk wisdom, and the country whose own name contains the word ‘love’ is a testament to this. You can Taste Slovenia and discover its specialities and delicious cuisine in 24 different culinary regions, which are all proud of their protected regional delicacies:
* Kranjska sausage (Kranjska klobasa), a pasteurized meat product is one of the most recognised products in Slovenia and abroad. The sausages are hot smoked and heat-cured.
* Karst prosciutto (Kraški pršut) is the traditionally prepared, air-dried meat delicacy of Karst, made of whole fresh pork leg.
* Piran Salt is still manually harvested according to the 700 year-old traditional procedure from the Sečovlje saltpans. The salt is unground, unrefined, and rich in sea minerals and has an extraordinarily distinctive taste.
* Prekmurska cake (Prekmurska gibanica) is a Slovenian dessert with a unique method of preparation, requiring considerable skill, precision and knowledge. It has many layers that must be arranged in a certain order.
* Idrija dumplings (Idrijski žlikrofi) is a traditional dish made of dough roll and stuffed with potatoes and spices.
* Extra virgin olive oil from Slovene Istria is a variety of top quality olive oil produced from various varieties of olives, growing in the Slovene Istria region.
* Styrian-Prekmurje pumpkin seed oil is a variety of high-quality edible and unrefined vegetable oil pressed according to traditional procedures.
Enjoy the piquant flavours of green, active and healthy Slovenia!