The construction of the iron bridge across Sava River in the vicinity of Radece began in September 1893, when the area was still under the rule of Austro-Hungary. The initiative came from the locals who wished to have a bridge that would connect the neighbouring provinces Styria (Stajerska) and Carniola (Kranjska). After almost a year of construction works the bridge was finally opened for public transport on 26th August 1894. The iron construction was made by the Ignatz Riedl Company from Vienna, while the supporting foundations were built by a local building contractor Trsek from Smarjeta pri Rimskih toplicah. The whole construction of the bridge was designed as a multileveled triangular stick-frames made out of rolled iron profiles. All the junctions were riveted and oak planks were used as a flooring material.
Total costs of the construction amounted to about 90.000 goldinars; one third of the total sum was donated by the state and the other two thirds were collected as a bridge toll.
Iron bridge across Sava River near Radece is 84 metres long, 6 metres wide and has a carrying capacity of 12 tons. It was the third biggest bridge of its kind in the whole Austro-Hungary and the biggest construction with a single supporting ground in Slovenia at the time of completion.
With a new bridge being completed less than a 100 years later about a kilometer downstream, the old iron bridge lost its original purpose, but became a tourist attraction instead. Traditional diving competition from its highest point (17 metres) is being carried out every June during the Days of Woodrafting festival.
Find out more about Radece at http://www.ktrc.si