Kubed, 6000 Koper
Kubed is located by the main road between Koper and Sočerga. The village was first mentioned in written sources in 1067, with the archaeological findings showing that the area was already populated in the Iron Age.
Kubed was an important defence point in wars between Venice and Austria and during the Turkish invasions; hence its walls. The territory within the walls is called Grad (‘the Castle’), with an interesting pentagonal tower, changed into a bell tower in 1833. Popular to visit are also the St. Florian Church from 1688 with Venturini’s painting from 1598 and the village cemetery from the 11th
The village is also known for the Slovenian national movement rally ‘kubejski tabor’ in 1870, and as a birthplace of the Istrian priest and poet Alojz Kocjančič.