High above the stream of the Tolminka rises a wooden shrine – the Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca, dedicated to fallen Austro-Hungarian defenders of the Tolmin battlefield on the Soča (Isonzo) Front (1915–1917).
As the finest monument to the First World War in the territory of Slovenia, in 2007 the church was classed as a historical monument bearing the European Cultural Heritage sign.
It is also one of the stations along the historical Walk of Peace
, which links together monuments and remains from the First World War in the upper Soča region.
The building was designed by the Vienna painter and stage set designer Remigius Geyling (1878–1974), then a first lieutenant, while the organisation and management of the construction was headed by the Hungarian-born Lieutenant Géza Jablonszky.
It was built by Austro-Hungarian soldiers who were skilled in various trades; the walls and lower section are of stone, while the upper part of the construction is of larch.
The viewing terrace by the church reveals a vista of the magnificent Rdeči Rob (Red Margin), the enchanting chain of the Tolmin-Bohinj mountains, and also takes in the rolling gentleness of the surrounding hills.
Above the entrance rises the bell tower with a sundial, the imperial crest and the inscription PAX (peace). The exterior is also adorned with the crests of the 20 provinces that made up Austria-Hungary.
In the interior, scorched into oak panels symbolising the pages of a memorial book, in the system of the military hierarchy are the 2564 names of Austro- Hungarian soldiers who fell in surrounding battlefields and are buried at Loče near Tolmin.
18.4. - 30.6. - Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10.00 to 17.00.
1.7. - 31.8.- every day from 10.00 to 19.00.
1.9. - 20.9.- every day from 10.00 to 17.00.
26.9. - 1.11.- Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10.00 to 17.00.
When church Javorca is closed, its key is in Tourist Information Centre Tolmin.
Petra Skalarja 4
Tel. : ++386 5 380 04 80
Fax : ++386 5 380 04 83
Web site : www.dolina-soce.com
GPS Northing (N) : 46,2347
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7197