Interested in happenings that took place in our locality in World War II?
You are invited to the historical museum, which deals with museology and historiograhical proceedings of modern history of Northeastern Slovenia, which can be found in a bourgeois villa in the city centre on the corner of the streets Mladinska and Ulica heroja Tomšiča.
You can visit
The museum's specialty is its archives with more than 120 metres of first-class material of occupier and partisan origin. The permanent exhibition shows happenings in the region of Maribor between World War II. In all six exhibition rooms visitors learn about:
- the Nazi occupation,
- the occupier's Germanizational measures of the Slovenian population and
- the organization of the resistance and the operations of the resistance groups and partisan units in this part of Slovenia from 1941 up to the end of the war.
If you are interested in more detailed information on the above we offer professional guided tours through the exhibitions and collections.
Beside the exhibitions in the museum house in Maribor, the museum has permanent exhibitions on Osankarica, in Ribnica na Pohorju and at St. Primož on Pohorje.FROM THE SUPREME COMMAND OF THE SOŠKA FRONT TO A MUSEUM
The well-known Maribor businessman Scherbaum
in the middle of 1890s built the villa,
a neo-Renaissance building, in which the museum has its seat.
- During the World War I the Austro-Hungarian supreme command
for theSoška front
was in operation in the house for some time,
- in the 1920s it was the seat of the Maribor administration,
- after 1930 a school for forestry,
- after World War II onwards the Maribor OZNA,
- then it was the seat of town political organizations
- from 1954 a museum
Reccomended time: Open: Monday-Friday 08.00-18.00, Saturday 09.00-12.00, Sunday and Hollidays closed,Upon agreement open
The National Liberation Museum Maribor
Ulica heroja Tomšiča 5
Tel. : ++386 2 235 26 00
Fax : ++386 2 252 73 94
Web site : www.muzejno-mb.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,5627
GPS Easting (E) : 15,6479