Address: Škrabčev trg 40 1310 Ribnica
Phone: ++386 1 836 93 35
Fax: ++386 1 836 93 35
Largely burned during World War II and later mostly demolished, this castle beside the Bistrica River belonged in the group of early castles built mainly in the second half of the 12th century that included a two- or three-story residence and an interior courtyard with a cistern protected by a wall. In the Middle Ages, the basic interior circumference was strengthened, and at the end of the 15th century and in the 16th century it was surrounded by a new circle of wall with towers that assumed the burden of defense against possible enemy attacks. Today, only part of this wall with its arcades and two towers remain of the once powerful, moat-surrounded complex that in later centuries was increasingly transformed into a comfortable aristocratic residence.
Despite the fact that most of the castle was destroyed, it still serves as a cultural center. Under the auspices of the Miklova House Public Institute, it houses a small museum with an ethnographic exhibit of Ribnica's famous woodenware and pottery and an archeology exhibit of discoveries from the Bronze Age. The wedding marches that echo from the Wedding Hall on Saturdays bring back the flavour of earlier castle festivities. A cultural park with statues of famous Ribnica personages has been arranged inside the walls among the remains of the foundations along with a small Forma Viva sculpture exhibition and a summer theatre that hosts a festival of amateur theatres every year. Every first Sunday in September sees performances accompanying the Ribnica Fair.
Škrabčev trg 40
GPS Northing (N) : 45,739
GPS Easting (E) : 14,7272