: Grajska pot 13 4220 Škofja LokaPhone
: ++386 4 517 06 00Fax
: ++386 4 517 0406 05e-mail
Old town core is consisted from Upper - Town square called Plac and Lower square called Lontrg both dominated by the Castle of Škofja Loka which bids the visitors welcome at the entrance to the town.
It must have been built before the year 1202 because it was described as very firm in the document from the same year.
The castle was built by the bishops of Freising and it was the place of administrator of the Loka dominion and of the granary-administrator.
It was also lodging for the bishop when he was on leave.
The Castle was almost totally demolished in the earthquake in 1511 but it was restored by the bishop Filip.
There stood once mighty square tower in the Castle’s courtyard, which ground plan’s sizes are still preserved and restored.
The Škofja Loka Museum
has occupied the castle for four decades.
This attractive museum contains archeological, historical, cultural, art, ethnological, and natural science exhibits that provide a survey of the history of Škofja Loka region and some of the extremely important events in Slovene history that occurred here.
Special attention is devoted to teaching activities, which beside a professional library include museum courses and workshops and guided tours of the museum and the old town center.
In addition to periodic exhibitions of various kinds, Škofja Loka Castle hosts other functions for which the castle's chapel, gallery, garden, and courtyard can be rented; catering services can also be arranged. Škofja Loka - interior of Loka Castle (360°)
Škofja Loka museum
Grajska pot 13
Tel. : ++386 4 517 04 00
Fax : ++386 4 517 04 12
Web site : www.loski-muzej.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,1653
GPS Easting (E) : 14,3053