The Upper Soča Valley and the town of Bovec
are known as an area offering numerous possibilities for white water sports, fishing, cycling and hiking in the Julian Alps.
- Accommodation with half-board or lunch/dinner on the following tourist farms: Jelinčič
in Soča, Pri Plajerju
in Trenta, Pri Arnejčku in Koseče near Kobarid, Pri Lovrču
in Čadrg near Tolmin and Široko
in Tolminski Lom near Most na Soči, where you can taste delicious local dishes; by previous arrangement.
- Accommodation in apartments on the tourist farm Pri Kafolu in Prapetno near Tolmin; by previous arrangement.
- You can taste and buy sheep's milk cheese and cottage cheese from the following cheese-makers: Ostan in Bovec and Igor Mlekuž in Zavrzelno near Bovec, as well as on the tourist farm Jelinčič
in the village of Soča; by previous arrangement.
- On the mountain pastures of Mangart
you can enjoy fresh dairy products and experience the traditional way of life on mountain pastures.
- In the village of Čezsoča, the emeral driver Soča
offers numerous possibilities for swimming and water sports in summer.
- In winter you can go skiing and sledding Kanin
Ski Center, where the winter season lasts from December to May.
- There are numerous possibilities for sports and recreation: if you’re in the mood for a true adventure, you can take your bike and head to Mt. Mangart (2678 m), or go paragliding from the summit of Mt. Mangart to Koritnica Valley.
- There are also numerous marked hiking trails: to the Mangart Saddle and Mt. Mangart
, toMt. Krn
and to the glacial Krn lakes
; in mountain huts near the Krn Lakes
and on the Mangart Saddle you can find delicious hot pots and jota.
- You can also take a hike along the Soča educational trail
that follows the Soča River from its spring and along the Trenta Valley to Bovec; the trail is 20 km long and will take you 5 hours of easy hiking.
- The valley of Lepena
offers numerous possibilities for fishing, relaxation and walks on a marked trail leading through the valley.
• Visit the idyllic tourist village Pristava Lepena
, built in the traditional style of the Trenta Valley. From here you can go riding on purebred Lipizzaner horses by the Soča River and nearby mountains.
- Visit the Juliana botanical garden in Trenta
, home to 600 different plant species and the only Alpine botanical garden in a natural setting in Slovenia.
- Visit the spring of the Soča River in Trenta
, one of the most beautiful springs in the Alps.
- Also worth visiting are the Mlinarica chutes in Trenta
, which are protected as a natural monument.
- In the village of Soča
you can visit the 18th century St. Joseph Church
with interesting paintings, the Military Cemetery
, the final resting place of Austrian soldiers who died in World War I, and the impressive Great Gorge of the Soča River, which is 750 m long.
- Visit the Kluže Fortress
, perched high above the canyon of the Koritnica river; it is one of the most impressive fortresses in Slovenia.
- Farmers' Games in the village of Čezsoča, July
- “Čompe” Night in Bovec, 15 August