in the countryside
Average summer temperature:20 °C
Average winter temperature:-2,5 °C
No historical battles were fought here and we have no famous people who have left their mark on history to boast of. There is no important personage who draws crowds of eager schoolchildren here to marvel at every tree stump on which he cooled his first anger or carved the initials of his first love. Because this person does not exist, destiny has had to come up with another way to make us recognisable. And it has! You have almost certainly heard some of the tall tales about the supposed foolish antics of the people of Motovilci, so there is no need to list them here. Many people are probably unaware that they were collected and written down by Dr Anton Vratuša in the 1940s. Not much is known about the history of Motovilci. It first appears in historical records in 1366 as "Nedelkouch in dystrictu Waralyakurniky" (in the Podgradje area). In 1499 it appears as Mothowylcz. Motovilci is a linear settlement lying along the Lukaj stream, while part of the settlement extends across the eastern slope of the valley. The Lukaj stream joins the river Ledava near Ropoča. In the north the settlement is separated from Dolnji Slaveči by the crossroads of the Murska Sobota-Grad and Murska Sobota-Kuzma roads. Most of the village is in a little valley lying one kilometre from the municipal Grad-Pertoča road. There are also some houses to the east of the village in Veliki Breg. Sources state that the population of the village was 415 in 1921 and 455 in 1937. In the latter year there were 89 houses in the village. The poor soil and large population meant that the village was unable to feed all its inhabitants, with the result that people were forced to emigrate. These emigrants and seasonal workers went to France (150), Germany (55), America (7) and Slavonia (30). Because people travelled a lot, some of them spoke several languages. The village has a fire station, a Catholic chapel, a Protestant bell tower and a modern chapel of rest. Other infrastructure includes street lighting and connections to the telephone network and cable TV system. A sewerage system with a biological treatment plant has also been built. Events and activities in the village are organised by the volunteer fire brigade and two clubs: the Lukaj Sports, Culture and Tourism Association and the Peški Recreation and Leisure Club. The village has several small businesses and crafts activities, while many people still go abroad for work (to Austria and Germany). At one time the blacksmith was an important figure in the village, while in recent years the village has gained a reputation for carpentry and joinery. Farming has lost its former importance here and only a few cowsheds can still be seen. Old photographs of authentic rural scenes awaken nostalgic memories of days gone by, when life was very different. But was it also better?