Tourist Information Center:TIC Koper
Titov square 3, 6000 Koper
+386 (0)5 664 64 03
This village at the Italian border is now divided into Spodnje Škofije and Zgornje Škofije (‘Upper and Lower Škofije’). The locals further divide Zgornje Škofije into Druga Škofija, Tretja Škofija and Četrta Škofija (‘the Second, Third and Fourth Škofija’). The name is first mentioned in written sources in 1203, when the entire area was owned by Trieste Bishops – hence the name (škof = bishop).
Škofije was also one of the stops of the Parenzana railway. From 1945 to1954, Spodnje Škofije was divided by the boarder between Zones A and B of the Julian March and later that of the Free Trieste Territory. With the signing of the London Memorandum, the boarder moved to where it is today. Located in Spodnje Škofije is the Church of St. Matthew; it was built in 1943 and has a bell tower unusual for the area. Spodnje Škofije is also the birthplace of the Istrian painter Herman Pečarič, who lived and created in Piran (1908-1981).