Tourist Information Center:TIC Koper
Tito square 3, 6000 Koper
+386 (0)5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Pomjan is a clustered vil-lage at a high altitude in the midst of the Šavrinsko gričevje (Šavrini Hills) along the Šmarje - Marezige ridge road.
It is surrounded by numerous prehistoric remains and Pomjan itself (Pomilianum, Paconius) can be traced back to Antiquity. The remains of a Roman settlement, water conduit, burial places, gravestones, coins, ceramics and Roman bricks were found on the Poljane hill or monte Romano. The Roman via Flavia road that connected Trieste with Pula led past Pomjan. Written sources mention Pomjan (Paugnano) in 1028 when the German Emperor Conrad II - the Salian donated the village to the Bishops of Pula who later donated it to the Koper diocesan county. In 1211, the village was enfeoffed to the Verzi family from Koper. Pomjan is mentioned as a fortified settlement in 1202 and later in the statutes of the city of Koper in 1423 and 1647. In his Corografia Ecclesiastica from 1700, Paolo Naldini, the Bishop of Koper, states that, from the once densely populated village, only a little over thirty homes remain out of the former one hundred and fifty. This was what the documents of the Verzi noble family said. The Bishop of Koper granted the Verzi family the right to tithe from this settlement in 1211. In 1559, they repaired and re-fortified its walls and the fortifications due to dangers of Ottoman invasions and the Austro-Venetian wars. At the entrance to the village, there is the Church of Mary’s Birth, with frescoes from the 15th century and Glagolitic inscriptions. Since the 19th century, i.e. 1868, Pomjan was the seat of the municipality within the framework of the Koper district. In 1898, the municipality of Pomjan was formed including the cadastral municipalities of Koštabono, Šmarje, Krkavče and Gažon and counting 6,338 inhabitants. In 1906, the loan and savings office was established and in 1909, the auxiliary school, where the children were predominantly taught by priests, became a single-grade primary school teaching in Slovene, while Pomjan got the first true Slovene primary school in 1912. The Slovenija Choral and Reading Society was set up in that same year. During the German October offensive in 1943, the village was partially burnt down but was mostly restored in the post-war years. It nevertheless kept some characteristics of typical Istrian village architecture.