Experience the stories of the Ljubljana Castle
In the midst of urban hustle and bustle, but removed from it at just the right distance, lies a mighty fortress on a hill, just like sitting on a pedestal. You will be able to enjoy a unique castle experience in the company of a personal assistant and actors who will bring history to life right before your eyes. At the castle restaurants and café , you will experience culinary masterpieces made by world-class chefs.
A unique castle experience just for you
The history of the castle will be enacted just for you by actors in costumes, showing you six periods that served as milestones for Ljubljana and its castle. At each historical station, a different historical figure will welcome you with their story – everyone from a Roman soldier, a knight, Jurij, and Emperor Frederick III of Habsburg, Napoleon, convicts, and even the Ljubljana mayor from the early 20th century, Ivan Hribar. Learn about culinary masterpieces made by Slovenia's best master chefs, and visit a boutique vineyard in the middle of the capital city of a country that is home to the oldest grapevine in the world.
Perhaps you didn’t know…
Ljubljana Castle has changed over centuries and so has its intended purpose; however, it has remained and will remain the symbol of the Slovenian capital city. More than a million visitors flock here every year.
The lower levels of the castle stand on the remains of the Roman town of Emona, and it is not unusual if, during your walk, you encounter some wall writings from houses or tombs from the Roman times.
The architect Jože Plečnik saw Ljubljana Castle as the centre of urban planning in Ljubljana. He wanted to create an acropolis at this site, which would be a symbol of the capital city of the Slovenian nation.
A descendant of the oldest grapevine in the world is growing by the castle walls. A bottle of the Grajska Žametovka wine has also been given to the Queen of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, among others.
Course of the experience:
- A meeting with a personal castle assistant at the bottom station of the funicular.
- You will take a ride up to the Castle in your own funicular car, bypassing the line. Your personal assistant will take you to the coffee shop where you will be welcomed by the castle guide.
- You will be taken to the Panoramic Tower, from which a third of Slovenia can be seen in nice weather.
- You will enjoy a private showing of the film Virtual Castle.
- There will be a guided ‘Time Machine’ experience with characters in costume who will take you through periods which significantly defined the history of the Castle and the capital city.
- Lunch at the Gostilna na Gradu Restaurant or the Strelec Restaurant, where the 2019 Chef of the Year as selected by the Gault & Millau culinary guide will cook for you.
- A private tour of the castle vineyard and a wine tasting.
- You can finish your castle experience by seeing the permanent installations at Ljubljana Castle or some of the current exhibitions, visiting the castle shop or coffee shop, or by walking through the chestnut avenue and enjoying the green heart of the capital city.
- The conclusion of the visit. Optionally, visit the castle shop, permanent installations, or some of the current exhibitions at the Castle.
- Your personal assistant will give you a surprise gift. If you wish, the assistant will accompany you to the funicular, bypassing the queue. We recommend that you take a walk through the chestnut avenue to Plečnik's Šance walking trail.
Timetable: All year round.
Duration: 5 hours
Start: The bottom station of the castle funicular.
Price: EUR 498 for two persons, including:
- a personal assistant,
- a private castle guide,
- a funicular ride to Ljubljana Castle,
- a welcome by castle characters in costume,
- a guided tour of the show ‘Time Machine’,
- a private showing of the film Virtual Castle,
- admission to the panoramic tower,
- lunch at the Strelec Restaurant or the Gostilna na Gradu restaurant,
- a tour of the castle vineyard,
- wine tasting,
- surprise souvenir.
Create your own ‘Time Machine’
Have a castle experience with characters in costume, who will take you back a few centuries. A unique mix of history, culture, and world-class culinary stories awaits you.