Wake up the explorer in you
Experience darkness and silence, and learn about the rich biodiversity of the karst underground outside of the bounds of tourist tunnels and discover the most beautiful part of Postojna Cave. The highlight will be your encounter with a dragon baby – the human fish in its natural habitat.
Discover the hidden gems of Postojna Cave
The ‘In the Footsteps of Luka Čeč’ tour is carried out in the non-tourist parts of Pivka Cave and Black Cave as the last underground stations of the Pivka River. Accompanied by experienced speleologists and biologists, you will follow in the footsteps of the first explorers, and discover the most beautiful parts of Postojna Cave.
With your caving boots on, equipped with a rope, a head torch and a helmet, you will head to the hidden tunnels of the most attractive cave in the world and the largest tourist cave in Europe. This is an adventure for everyone who wishes to experience more demanding passages and test their strength by descending by rope and crossing lakes and the Pivka River. By performing fun tasks, you will step into the shoes of Luka Čeč, a cave lamplighter, who, as he was preparing for a visit by the Austrian Emperor Franz I, was the first person to dare to explore the then still unknown world of the Postojna underground.
Perhaps you didn’t know…
While exploring internal parts of Postojna Cave in 1831, Luka Čeč, a cave lamplighter, also discovered the first known cave beetle Leptodirus hochenwartii.
Due to difficult access, Pivka Cave remained unexplored until 1855. Today, 317 steps will take you to the abyss.
The Postojna Cave complex is a real underground Amazon rainforest, as it is home to over 150 animal species.
Course of the experience:
- Meeting with the guide at the Jama Hotel.
- A welcome treat of local cuisine and the presentation of the experience.
- Putting on your caving equipment (boots, overalls, a rope, a head torch and a helmet).
- Transport from the Postojna Cave Park to the entrance to Pivka Cave.
- Entering the cave. On the way, the guide will tell you everything about the first explorers of the Postojna cave system and its biodiversity.
- Solving fun and adrenaline-filled cave tasks (descending on a rope, climbing over the river, assessing the age of cave formations, underground orienteering, crossing the lake in Black Cave).
- Riding the cave train to the exit from Postojna Cave.
- Culinary experience at the Magical Garden of the Jama Hotel or in front of the Modrijan Homestead (depending on the season).
Timetable: The experience is provided throughout the year between 9:00 and 18:00. If the Pivka River is high, the route may change.
Duration: 5 hours
Start: Jama Hotel at the Postojna Cave Park
Price: EUR 208 per person (the price applies to groups of at least six people), which includes:
- licensed cave guide and the implementation of the experience;
- transport from Postojna Cave to the entrance to Pivka Cave;
- rental of caving equipment;
- snack and four-course menu at the Jama Hotel;
- surprise souvenir.
Step into the shoes of cave explorers
Put on your caving equipment and explore the side passages of Postojna Cave. Discover new awe-inspiring images of the karst underground.