Address: Tartinijev trg, 6330 Piran
Phone: ++386 5 663 35 70
Fax: ++386 5 663 35 71
This is one of the oldest houses that encircle the square. Municipal documents from the year 1384 mention it as the Gothic building ?Casa Pizagrua?; later its exterior was renovated in the classical style. Guiseppe Tartini was borne there.. The house was finally renovated between the years 1985 and 1991, when interesting frescoes were uncovered during renovation works. The Tartini House is the main office of the Italian Community and is used for cultural events, exhibitions and various art workshops. On the 1st floor there is the Tartini Memorial Room , containing the objects left to the family Tartini by the artist. The most interesting exhibits are: the death mask, the master?s violin, the music score pages, the copper engraving depicting Tartini?s dreams and an oil portrait painting of Tartini. Among the manuscripts, the most interesting is a letter to a violinist, Tartini?s pupil, Maddalena Lombardini, in which Tartini explains the rules of the violin bow technique.
Giuseppe Tartini was born in Piran on 8th April 1692. His father, Gian Antonio, was a native of Florence and probably came to Piran for trading. Later, he started to work as public notary in the salt trade. Tartini’s mother Caterina Zangrando, was a descendant of one of the oldest aristocratic families, which lived in Piran. Tartini acquired his first knowledge from the Fathers of Oratory in Piran, and later was registered at “Collegio dei padri delle scuole Pie” in Koper. He probably also attended the academy I virtuosi in Piran, which gathered all Piran scholars, to discuss music, art and literature. He continued his schooling at the Koper college. His father wanted him to become a priest, yet the restless spirit led the son elsewhere. He continued his studies at the Law Faculty of the Padova University. After some unpleasant strife after the marrying the Bishop’s niece, he was obliged to leave Padova behind. He sought a sanctuary at Assisi, where he studied violin and basics of composition at the local monastery. During that period, he also studied the basics of acoustics law. There are very scarce data on his life for the following years. It is known that he played in various theatre orchestras and performed as a soloist; he improved his violin technique in Ancona, where he was studying for two years.
In the year 1721 he was invited to play first violin and be concert master in the St. Anthony Cathedral in Padova. He was appointed without any audition, the fact confirming the great reputation he already achieved as virtuoso. After a short stay in Prague, he returned to Padova, where he in his prime took on the supervision of the music chapel in the cathedral. In the year 1728 he founded a well known violin school La scuola delle nazioni. The students were arriving there from different European countries, so eventually he was given the name “il maestro delle nazioni”. In the year 1770 he died in Padova, where he was buried. He left a large opus: around 130 concertos, over 170 sonatas, etc. He mainly wrote for violin. His most famous work is the Devil’s Trill”. Legend says that devil himself, playing the violin, appeared in his dream. Immediately upon waking up, he wrote the melody down. This is how one of the most challenging European violin compositions was created.