At carnival time the streets of Cerknica are full of singing, dancing and merrymaking
Every year between Candlemas and Ash Wednesday it is carnival time in the town of Cerknica, and for one very special week it changes its name into Butale (a village inhabited by simpletons - Butalci, who come to life at carnival time – based on the book Butalci by Fran Milčinski). Carnival festivities begin on Shrove Thursday with the traditional »sawing of the witch« and the inauguration of the Carnival mayor of Butale. This is the time when visitors can enjoy the lively atmosphere of one of the biggest Carnivals in Slovenia.
• Accommodation with half-board or lunch/dinner at the following tourist farms: Logar
in Žerovnica near Grahovo, Žigon
in Grčarevec near Logatec, Hudičevc
in Razdrto near Hruševje and Dolenčevi
in Sajevče near Hruševje, Pri Andrejevih
in Narin near Pivka, Na meji
in Trnje near Pivka and Francinovi-Volkovi
, where you can taste delicious local dishes.
• You can taste chosen local dishes on the following excursion farms: Levar
in Dolenje jezero near Cerknica, Pri Cunarju
in Jurišče near Pivka and Kontrabantar in Dolenja vas near Cerknica.
• The “sawing of the witch” in and the inauguration of the Carnival mayor of Butale on Shrove Thursday
• Butalci democratically take Butale local government on Shrove Friday
• Carnival festivities for children in Cerknica on Saturday
• Carnival procession through the streets of Cerknica on Sunday
• Symbolic burial of the Shrovetide Man on Ash Wednesday in Cerknica.