The village and the St. Agnes church were mentioned very early, in the year of 1540.
Mainly rustic environmentstarted to change when the brown coal minein 1815 was opened. At the same time the clay, later ceramic dishes were being produced and were, bearing the Schutz trade mark, known all over the world. The mine was closed in 1972, the ceramics factory is, on the other hand, still at work.
Although the village is located between the mountains, it has good trafic connections with Celje, Laško, Zabukovica and Petrovče.
Due to its geographical position Liboje is often the starting or the finishing point for the mountain or cycling trips, sports climbing and hang gliding.