in the countryside
Average summer temperature:20 °C
Average winter temperature:-2,5 °C
The village of Kovačevci appears in historical records in 1365 under the name Kouachouch, and then in 1499 as Kowasowoz. Kovačevci is a dispersed settlement lying on ridges and in ravines along the course of the Bezjak stream and its four tributaries. The road linking the settlements of Vidonci and Poznanovci runs through the village. The village is divided into the following hamlets: Bašov Breg, Cörov Breg, Francova Graba, Horvatova Graba, Hubrov Breg, Pozvekov Breg, Kocvenklinov Breg, Krčmarovi, Roudijova Graba, Hlapcov Breg (also Hlapcov Vrej – the inhabitants are known as "Vrejščarji") and Žekšova Graba. The soil is heavy and clayey, with gravelly sandy soil in the north by the Bezjak. There is more arable land on the sunny slopes on the western side. Mixed meadows, fields, orchards and vineyards surround the houses. The principal field crop is wheat, while other crops include rye, barley and corn. Apple trees are the predominant type of fruit tree. By the northern part of the Bezjak stream is a section of forest known by the same name, then Trejbaš, Pušča and Polakanca, and, in the west, Bukonja and Francove Dužine. Farms that once relied on oxen and horses today use tractors and other machinery. The houses are of brick and are mostly in good repair. Traditional beaten clay houses are disappearing. The store of firefighting equipment is rather modest, although in recent years the fire station has acquired new equipment and has been renovated. The commonest surnames in the village are Žekš, Roudi and Gjergjek. A few of the inhabitants work in Murska Sobota, 20 kilometres away. In the past the village was famous for its charcoal. Charcoal burning was quite a demanding business. Good quality wood was needed (beech, oak, acacia). This wood was then sawn into smaller pieces and stacked in a pyramid. The stacked wood was then packed round with soil, to a thickness of around 20 centimetres. A small aperture was left in which to light the fire. This later served to allow air in. The charcoal burner was always present to ensure that the wood did not catch fire, for in that case he would have been left without wood and without charcoal. The duration of the process depended on the size of the wood stack, but it usually took two to three days. When the charcoal burner saw that the process was reaching its end, he stopped up the opening and, if necessary, poured on water to extinguish the fire. A little while later, once the heap had cooled, he could begin to remove the soil covering. The remaining heap was then sieved – the ash was thrown away and the charcoal was placed in bags. It was used at the forge to heat iron, which could then be shaped as required.