Kozlov rob is a rounded peak above Tolmin, which the local people also call 'Castle' ('Grad').
An historical and natural science education trail leads across the southern slopes of Kozlov rob. At fourteen points along the trail, plaques describe the vegetation, the composition of the forest soil and stone, and various historical events.
The castle at the top was first mentioned in the 12th century. Its owners included the Patriarchs of Aquileia, the Counts of Gorizia, the City of Cividale, the Venetians, and the Hapsburgs. Because the castle changed hands many times through the centuries, its architectural appearance changed as well, particularly after the major earthquakes in 1384 and 1511. It was last renovated by the Counts of Dornberg in 1608. In the second half of the 17th century, the governing Coronini family abandoned the castle and moved to their new residence in Tolmin, which today houses the Tolmin Museum.
In recent years, the ruins of the castle have been gradually restored. So far, part of the castle wall and the Sv. Martin chapel have been reconstructed.
Petra Skalarja 4
Tel. : ++386 5 380 04 80
Fax : ++386 5 380 04 83
Web site : www.dolina-soce.com
GPS Northing (N) : 46,1896
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7256