Please, evaluate the offer:

In the dragon's footsteps – legends about the origin of Tržič

Print Add to travel planner
Organizer : Tourist information centre Tržič

Address: Trg svobode 18 4290 Tržič
Phone: +386 4 59 71 536
Fax: +386 4 59 71 513
e-mail:
www.trzic.eu
We will follow the legends about the origin of Tržič along the length of our tour - from Ljubelj through the  Šentanska valley to Tržič.

Our tour will first lead us from the border crossing at Ljubelj along the road which leads to one of the oldest mountain passes in Europe, with countless stories of its history and the people who travelled along it. As early as Roman times there was a path across the Ljubelj pass which connected Virunum on Gosposvetsko polje with the Roman Emona. Towards the end of the 15th century Krištof Lamberger also travelled across Ljubelj when he went to Vienna to fight »Pegam«. In the times of the Counter-reformation Primož Trubar, the author of the first Slovenian book, escaped across the pass. In the year 1728 the governor of the province Wolf Waikard Gallenberg, receiving news that Emperor Carl V. was coming across the pass, ordered the tunnel be demolished and a new road cut. In memory of that event the government of  Carniola set two pyramids of stone on pedestals. The stones for the two pyramids were transported from Ljubljana on twenty carts for which they needed 187 draught horses.  Since the year 1965, when a new pass on Ljubelj was opened the old Ljubelj road has been of interest as a tourist attraction. Each year the Tržič Touring Club organises a competition of old-timers for Hrastov memorial. The route is 2300 metres long and at the steepest point it has an incline of up to 33%. From the top of Ljubelj there is a wonderful view of Podljubelj Valley and the north walls of Košuta and Begunjščica. 

After returning to the valley we will drive past the Memorial park of the Mauthausen camp to the settlement of Lajb, where according to the locals, the original Tržič stood. There an old transport route lead from the Draga Valley across Lajb and then across Ljubelj to Koroška. There was also a mining settlement at Šentanska mine which produced mercury. 

Lower in valley, Beli potok stream flows across a wall of conglomerate more than 230 million years old. Tominc waterfall is divided into two parts at the top. After downpours the jets of water unite and reverberate across the Šentanska valley.
 

After lunch in a pleasant local inn ''Školjka'' (Shell) we will set off again along the
traces of the legend to the old town centre of Tržič.


In terms of historical particularity among the Carniola boroughs or market towns, only Tržič boasts the preserved founding document with which Tržič was established as a borough in 1492. A great calamity hit Tržič in 1811 when a terrifying fire broke out. Blacksmith's workshops, ironworks, and numerous trade workshops were burnt to the ground. The renovation of Tržič after the fire was slow. A special decree was issued which required the obligatory installation of iron doors and shutters which became a real European peculiarity. Also numerous other characteristics of buildings, e.g. portals and window frames from the green stone, drying openings in the roofs, large stones which protect the corners of a house,  ''firbec'' window ... all catch our attention in the old town centre. 

At the end we will take a tour of the Tržič Museum where you will feel the enterprising drive of the old Tržič families. In the displayed collections you will view: the leather trade - the secret recipes and procedures of tanning skins, shoemaking - its majesty the shoe which comes from the skilled shoemaker's hand, weaver's trade – you will take a walk from wool to thread, from flax to linen, and the timber industry – wood is the gift of nature: to live with it, work it, burn coals, bending wood into wheels or breathing life into it for useful articles. 

 
Min. number of participants : 10 
Max. number of participants : 30 

Visits
guided tour 

Price: 13,02 € per person  (guidance, accident insurance, entrance fees and lunch) 


GPS Northing (N) : 46,4329 
GPS Easting (E) : 14,2616 
Photos
Administrator : Turistično info. in prom. center občine Tržič | ++386 4 597 15 36 | | last modified: 14/08/2014

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year
Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)
Room/Apartment
Children
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more