Bureau d'informations touristiques
00389 (0)5 769 00 56
in the countryside
Climat bénéfique pour la santé
Sveto is a small village in the heart of the Komen Karst and it is 1.5 kilometres away from Komen.
In the period of the Bronze and Iron Ages homes were built in a fortified settlement (a prehistoric hill fort), which is situated right next to the village by the Martinišče Hill. This is also the place where the Church of St. Nicholas is believed to have been situated in the past. The village supposedly developed from the succursal, former pilgrimage Church of St. Giles, to whom people took refuge in times of difficulty (such as natural calamities and other kinds of misfortune). Maidens also prayed to him for a good husband. The village got its name from the time of the pilgrimages. The village played a special role in World War I, as well as in World War II, when it first gave shelter to the Austro-Hungarian soldiers (who also had their hospital in the village in the Church of St. Giles, a cemetery and a chemist’s shop in the old school). Later, the village also provided shelter for the partisans. In World War I the inhabitants were exiled to Dolenjska. The remnants of the military railway on a nearby pasture reminds us of thies period.
: The Succursal Church of St. Giles (Sveti Tilh in the local dialect)
in the centre of the village (Briteh) belongs to the Parish of Komen. The church is listed among the most important monuments of sacral architecture on Slovene soil. It is unique because of the octagonal shape of its nave built in 1576 which is covered by an umbrella roof construction supported by just one column (which in the past was wooden). The interior got its present-day appearance during the Baroque period when the main presbytery was added and the altars were made. The main altar originates from a subsidiary church in Gorizia/Gorica and it was, at least partially, made by Angelo Putti (Pozzo), designer of the doorway for the Ljubljana theological seminary. The statue of St. Giles is older. The side altars are dedicated to St. John Nepomucene and St. Janez Nepomuk (the altar piece was made by A. Parolli) and to St. Jeremy (altar piece made by J.M. Lichtenreit). The altar of St. Francis Xavier stands on the former main presbytery which is of Gothic origins. On the western part an independent belltower bearing the year 1599 once stood, but it was later connected to the church building by means of an arch.
An ancient lime tree (around 500 years old) next to the church has always represented the centre of the village where residents would talk about local matters and organize community help for each other.
The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery is in the centre of the village, where approximately 3,000 (mainly Hungarian) soldiers are buried.
Three commemorative plaques dedicated to those who fell serving in the Resistance Movement (NOB); commemorative plaques to the fallen serving in the Resistance Movement are in the centre of the village; a plaque to the fallen messengers is in the upper part of the village on the road to Škrbina; and a plaque in memory of the first pre-election congregation for the Village National Liberation Commission is found on the way to Sv. Miklavž.
Numerous underground chambers on the road to Sv. Miklavž and one in the lower village which were built in 1917 by Russian prisoners (see the map at the bus stop next to the church).
Sinkhole pond (kal) in the hamlet of Samči to which a road from the military cemetery leads.
Lokve, small water reservoirs where villagers would learn to swim, within the defence walls of the Martinišče hill fort; and a smaller one opposite house number 44.
The hill fort Martinišče which rises above the upper village and Jašča (the turning is by house number 49a). Judging by the circumference and the dimensions of the walls it is possible to conclude that in Martinišče there are actually two hill forts combined into one (Martinišče and Sv. Miklavž). Half a kilometre from Martinišče, archaeologists discovered a former graveyard and also a bronze kettle, needles, a fibula with a pendant on a small chain, rings, bracelets and an iron knife.
: A road which runs from the centre of Komen leads to Sveto and enters at the upper part of the village. At the junction it turns off to the right. In the village there is a turning for Škrbina and Rubije (by the church on the right) and an unsurfaced road towards Preserje (from the lower village) and Lipa (past the sinkhole pond).
: During the May holidays an “osmica”
is open. More about osmica on www.kras-carso.com
. GPS Northing (N)
: 45,8242 GPS Easting (E)