in the countryside
Average summer temperature:20 °C
Average winter temperature:-2,5 °C
Strukovci is a little village slightly off the beaten track. It appears in historical records for the first time in 1365 as Zthrykolch and then in 1499 as Zthrykowcz. This is evidence that our village was already registered in those days. We villagers have divided the village more or less into four parts. Spodnji (Lower) Strukovci stands on the main road, while the "Ledavščanci" live along the road leading to Zenkovci. Their name probably derives from the Ledava, the stream flowing past their homes. Continuing on past the Ledava, we come to Bacov Kot on the left-hand side. Further down the road we come to Kustov Brejg and the start of Zgornji (Upper) Strukovci. The rich plain provides plenty of food for the people of the village. The fields and meadows grow richer in the direction of Kranjčki Les and all the way to Skakovci. The fertile soil of Zgornji Strukovci borders on the territory of Zenkovci. Although we are an apparently unimportant village, in 1867 the people of Strukovci and Skakovci founded a one-class Protestant elementary school. Lessons began in 1868 with the arrival of the first teacher, Janas Bako. During the time of the Hungarian occupation, Strukovci was known as Cürühaz. Today the village belongs to the local administrative community of Zenkovci and the municipality of Puconci. Most of the population are involved in agriculture, while some work in Murska Sobota. The village has some tradesmen and artisans and a 250-year-old inn: the Gostilna Šiftar. The people of Strukovci are proud of Štefan Küzmič, the Lutheran writer born here 250 years ago. A monument in his honour stands in the centre of the village. The villagers of Strukovci are satisfied with what they have achieved so far, but many ideas and plans still await realisation. A marked cycling route (L 610) running through the village is part of a route linking places connected to the history of Protestantism in this area.