Tourist Information Center:Tourist Information Center Sežana
Partizanska cesta 4, 6210 Sežana
+00386 (0)5 7310 128, email@example.com
Height above sea level
in the countryside
The first record of the village dates back to the year 1100. On its highest point stands the church of St Michael. Long ago, a castle presumably stood there. Its image is kept in the hands of the statue of St Leopold standing on a pilaster at the entrance to the graveyard. Next to it is the statue of St Michael stabbing the devil. According to ethnologist Merk, the village was originally called Skopa vas, indicating the metaphorical comparison of the area’s empty land. However, according to oral tradition the name
descends from the Slovene expression “skupaj” meaning “together” as it used to be the gathering point of Count of Skopo, Duino and Štanjel.
Besides the richly decorated stone doors (portoni), there is also a stone cross from 1721, symbolizing the plague, one of the oldest stone pils in Karst and a NOB monument.
Automobiles : The village is situated along the road Sežana-Nova Gorica between
Dutovlje and Kopriva.
GPS Northing (N) : 45,7738
GPS Easting (E) : 13,8225