Please, evaluate the offer:

Kubed

InfoTownsAccommodationAttractionsActivitiesEventsFood & WineMore
Print Add to travel planner
Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
236 m
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Kubed is a clustered village whose strategically important transport posi-tion and importance during the time of national awakening made it one of the most famous villages in the Slovenian Istria.

The village is located in the last part of the Grašišče and Kubed system of valleys with the road from the Rižana Valley to Buzet. In the northeast, the system of valleys is rimmed with the limestone strip of Lačna (451 m) and, on the other side of the gorge of the Rakovec Stream, with the Grad (262 m) hill, ending in Skrajniki where the land runs into Griža (262 m) above the Rižana Valley. In the west is the flysch back with the Čela (242 m) and Varda (272 m) hills. East of Griža and Grad is the Krašca (272 m) flysch hill and the road from Mostičje to Kubed runs along its south-western slope. The village is comprised of a series of houses scattered along the sunny side of the Grad hill. It consists of the Križišče (by the road), Potok and Grad hamlets. Northwest of the village centre is the Skrajniki (or Brtači) hamlet on the road from the village to Grad. As an important village on roads leading from the hinterland Istria to the Rižana Valley and further towards the sea, the wider area of Kubed was settled early in history. Considering the archaeological finds from the nearby Krašca and Varda hills and in the Karst cave, it can be assumed that the area has been populated since the Early Iron Age, coinciding with the settlement tradition of the hill forts. Numerous archaeological finds from the Roman era testify to the important road connection running along the ridge from Kubed (Castrum Cubitum) across Sv. Anton and Čežarji towards the littoral area. The development of the village dates back to the Early Middle Ages when the broader area was part of the church estates of the Trieste or Koper diocesan counties. Kubed (Cubida, Covedo) is mentioned in the deed of donation by the German Emperor Henry IV to the Freising Bishop Ellenhard from 1067, while the area was also an allodium of Count Ulrich II of Weimar and later of the Patriarchs of Aquileia. It is assumed that the Kubed parish and the cemetery data are from this time. Together with Hrastovlje, Movraž, Sočerga and other villages, Kubed was part of the wider district of Koper (Agro distrattuale) in the 12th century. From the mid 13th century, Kubed and other villages from the Karst edge formed the frontier zone protecting the territory of Koper. As a feudal estate in the Koper diocesan county at the time of the Venetian Republic, Kubed belonged to the Bratti (16th century) and Vergerio (17th century) noble families. The natural steep cliffs provided favourable conditions for building a fortified stronghold so Venice strongly fortified the hill during the Ottoman invasions and the Austro-Venetian wars. As an important stronghold (kaštel - hill fort), Kubed became the seat of the so-called konestabel, the officer of the peasant army of soldiers (černida) with a permanent garrison in the 16th century. Kubed was again fortified during the Uskok War (1615 – 1617) and when the dangers of war subsided, the importance of the fortified stronghold declined. In this period, Kubed’s importance further lay in it being the seat of the Chapter Parish. In the 17th century, upon setting up external vicariates, the Kubed Vicariate included the parishes of Sočerga, Truške, Marezige, Sv. Anton, Tinjan, Dekani and Rižana. In 1688, as evident from the lintel above the church door, the parish Church of St. Florian or the Grand Chapel was constructed. Documents state that there were 668 inhabitants in the Kubed parish in 1741. The parish extended to the villages of Hrastovlje, Dol and Gračišče. Kubed was described in the chorographies by Prospero Petronio, the Bishop of Novigrad Giacomo Filippo Tommasini and the Bishop of Koper Paolo Naldini whose famous Corografia Ecclesiastica from 1700 mentions a fortified castle and the parish Church of St. Florian. Even more important was the development of the village in the 19th century, when Trieste, as a harbour, trade and industrial centre of the Habsburg Monarchy, had a positive effect on the agriculture of the wider hinterland. In the area of Kubed, this facilitated the development of wine-growing, olive oil production, animal husbandry, gardening and dairy farming. The swift development of agriculture and the lively transport connections with Trieste allowed the village to see a boost in cultural and educational life. The Kubed Popular Assembly organised on 7 August 1870 on the initiative of and organised by Franjo Ravnik was especially important for the broader area of Istria. The importance of the People’s Assembly in Kubed lies especially in awakening the Istrian Slovenes and Croatians from political lethargy. The leaders of the People’s Assembly spoke loud and clear about their national rights, especially the right to use Slovene in schools, offices, courts and in public life. Marking the centenary of the People’s Assembly, a memorial plaque was built into the wall of the bell tower in 1970 and on the 120th anniversary (in 1989), there was a big celebration under the slogan TA ZEMLJA JE SVETA - TA ZEMLJA JE NAŠA (THIS LAND IS SACRED - THIS LAND IS OURS!). Kubed is the birthplace of Alojz Kocjančič (born in 1913), priest and the first poet of Istria in Slovene who went down in Slovene literature as a bard of Slovene Istrian poetry, speaking with bitterness and pride about the constant Istrian struggle for material, national and moral survival.

 


GPS Northing (N) : 45,5028 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,8806 
Photos
Administrator : Turistično informacijski center Koper | ++386 5 664 64 03 | | last modified: 09/02/2012
View on map
GPS N: 45,5028
E: 13,8806
Destination: Istria Slovenia
Place: Kubed

Book & Buy

X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more