Address: Savinjska cesta 4, 3331 Nazarje
Phone: ++386 3 839 16 13
Fax: ++386 3 839 16 25
Right at the confluence of the Savinja and Dreta rivers lies Vrbovec Castle. The original castle, built as early as the first half of the 12th century, was founded on the rock stack in the middle of the present estate. The present castle originated around the year 1480; in the 18th century the medieval core was removed. In addition to the Patriarch of Aquileia, the powerful family of the Counts of Celje is mentioned among the owners; after their decline it was transferred to the ownership of the Austrians. The liegemen of the castle were changing especially frequently until the year 1615, when the Diocese of Ljubljana bought it for their use.
In the 1944 the castle burnt down and from 1988 to 1992 it was completely renovated.
Today it houses forestry services, the city government, the local wedding hall, a restaurant and a museum of forestry and timber.
The museum of forestry and timber industry
Savinjska cesta 4
Tel. : ++386 3 839 16 13
Fax : ++386 3 839 16 25
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 46,3208
GPS Easting (E) : 14,9506