The castle is situated on a terrace of the right bank of the river Krka, southeast of the Gumberk village.
The original domain, first mentioned in 1449, was rebuilt in the 16th century by Karel Jurič, his family remaining the masters of the castle until the early 19th century when it became the property of the Knights of Fichtenau. Since World War II, the castle has been owned by the Agricultural Association Krka and is currently developing its own hippodrome.
The residential wing having the ground and the first floor, encloses the inner courtyard, while the East wing with its two rectangular towers, provides defence.
The Struga castle is a beautiful example of a typical 16th century architecture with its equalised style; it is one of the most important monuments of Dolenjska due to its outstanding situation close to the river Krka and its specific ambience, as well as its cultural-historic importance - the castle was mentioned in Tavčar's novel ' The Island and the Stream'.
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8421
GPS Easting (E) : 15,2472