The Hmeljnik Castle is situated on a stone slope above the village of Karteljevo close to Novo mesto, dominating the views from the valley and from the road Ljubljana - Bregana.
The castle was first mentioned in 1217, yet its original masters are not known - they were probably the Lords of Višnja gora, possibly also the Lords of Hopfenbach or Hmeljnik whose family line was terminated in the 14th century. The castle has subsequently been owned by the Auerspergs for at least three hundred years; the castle had many masters since the times of the Auerspergs, including the Wamboldts that resided in it until the World War II.
The original Hmeljnik Castle from the late 12th century is a typical vaulted castle with two Roman palazzos and a staircase tower. In the Gothic period, the southwest tower and its east wing as well as the castle chapel of Saint Pancras were added. A double fortress wall with circular towers was built during the times of Turkish attacks, and a Renaissance archway was added, flanking the inner courtyard - this structure was demolished after World War II. The castle was burnt down in 1942 and its remains subsequently detonated. In the late 50ies, the ruins were slowly rebuilt, gaining a new roof structure and static consolidation.
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8631
GPS Easting (E) : 15,1529