The present Archbishop's palace, originally Renaissance, was later transformed in its first renovation into an early Baroque building and has the most beautiful preserved arcaded courtyard in Ljubljana. The construction of the palace started in 1512, and it was raised by one storey in the mid-17th century. At the end of the 18th century it acquired its present facade with wreathed ornamentation and was connected to the cathedral by a passage. Some time later, Emperor Napoleon slept in this building, and his governors of the Illyrian Province, L. Bernadotte, Marmont and others resided here. Today it is the seat of the Slovene Catholic Metropolity.