The only operating Carthusian Monastery in Slovenia is in the valley at the foot of Gorjanci. It was founded by Herman II, Count of Celje in 1407. It was later sacked by the Turks, and then rebuilt with strong fortifications by the monks. It is surrounded by a three metre high and 2800 metre long wall. The monastery belonged to the Jesuit
Order from 1595 to 1773. It later became the property of the state but was regained by the Carthusian order in 1899.
The Church of the Holy Trinity, a rich library and an art collection remain from the original monastery. In the east wing of the monastery, which is open to visitors,
is the collection of the Dolenjska Museum depicting life in the monastery and the local area, as well as a collection of articles made from eggshell. The monks also offer their famous Pleterje brandies and bottled pears for sale.
Visiting hours are from 8.30am to 6.30pm daily, closed on Sundays.Pleterje (360°)