Trg svetega Jerneja 1, 1330 Kočevje
Mighty parish church of St. Jernej stands in the very heart of town Kočevje, only few meters away from the bridge crossing the river Rinža. Outside image itself already shows its historical shape. The plants for the building were made in 1888 by famous architect from Vienna mister Friedrich Freiherr von Schmidt. He more than everything wants the church to be built before his dead, but it did not happen. So the remaining work has to be completed by the best student of his architecture school. Sacred was on the 19th of July in 1903.
Sanctuary is 50m long, 25m wide and around 15m high. It is compound from three-ship arched bazilican frame stopped with high transversal ship.
Interior is painted very decoratively. Work was done in 1939 by Peter Železnik. In presbytery, which is finished by apse is in roman style conceived cibori with for different marble columns that represents the symbols of Evangelists. Interior of half dome apse was in a year 1938 figuratively painted by known painter Slavko Pengov. Same author pained also Cross way in a year 1931. Franc Jenko from the Village Šentvid near Ljubljana has in 1929 made organ, which also today remains one of the biggest in Slovenia and are still in use. Counts bench is exceptional, built separately decorated with coats of arms and upholstered seats. Coat of arm with aurochs is similar on the shield of armoire in presbytery. Behind metallic doors and German inscription hides three goblets. In the middle is relic and by legend maybe the heart of a dead Duke could be saved inside. Against side altar on the left stands large bronze statue of St. Jernej. The statue made by local academic sculptor Stane Jarm in dignity to Kočevje parish when it celebrated 600 years of being in 1993.
Župnijski urad Kočevje
Trg Svetega Jerneja 1
Tel. : ++386 1 895 07 10
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 45,6398
GPS Easting (E) : 14,8603