When the steep, granite cobbled path, leading to the north, is overcome, the St. Mary Ascension Church is reached. The legend is saying that on the night between 14th and 15th August in the far year 1512, the Mother Mary appeared to two vineyard watchmen. She begged them to relay a message to authorities regarding the renovation of the church, which was in very bad shape. In the following years the church was enlarged. In the year 1520 it was adorned with the painting “Apparition of St. Mary” by Francesco Valerio. Eventually the church became the most important pilgrimage centre of the entire Istria.
Župnijski urad Strunjan
Tel. : +386 5 678 20 05
Web site : www.rkc.si/ofm/Samostan
GPS Northing (N) : 45,5351
GPS Easting (E) : 13,6077