There are not many pilgrimage churches in Europe with the Virgin Mary opening her mantle of mercy as generously as in Ptujska Gora Church, a sanctuary so magnificent that many call it quite justly “an ode to Gothic.”
Ptujska Gora 2323 Ptujska Gora
Since the beginning of the 15th century the church interior has been a real treasury of Gothic sculptures. The most remarkable one is the statue of Virgin Mary - the patroness with her mantle as she invites people to her side. Under the mantle there are images of 82 people, representing a precious collection of portraits from that era. The church walls with the original defence tower on the south side date back to the time of the Turkish ruler Osman, when Ptujska Gora was turned into a military camp. This part of its history is depicted as a print in copperplate from 1681.
The Baroque staircase leading to the Church is guarded by the statues of St. Florian, the patron saint of firemen and St. Janez Nepomuck. The entrance at the top of the stairs is decorated with sitting angels.
The church is open from 8am to 6pm.
Župnijski urad Ptujska Gora
Ptujska Gora 40
Tel. : ++386 2 794 42 31
Fax : ++386 2 794 39 91
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 46,3535
GPS Easting (E) : 15,7618