Mekinje, 1240 Kamnik
Phone: ++386 1 831 72 07, ++386 1 831 91 43
Sometime between 1143 and 1147, Mekinje was first mentioned in written sources. In 1300, the Gallenbergs founded the convent of the Poor Sisters of St. Clare.
Monastery went through several turbulenttimes, It was dissolved, evne demolished, but then also rebuilt. Since 1902, the Ursulines have lived there.
While them monastery served as a military hospital in WWI, it was occupied by the Germans in WWII. After the war, a part of the premises was used for housting young families and various craft schools.
From 1971 to 1992 a part of the monastery was used for the National University Library arhives. In 1990 the mnastery was fully restored to the Usulines, who until recently teached religion, took care of the spiritua growth of the youth and play an active role in various other groups.
Ursuline Convent Cream Layer Cake comes from the Ursuline convent in Mekinje. The dishe is part of the brad of local dishes Taste Kamnik.
Župnijski urad Mekinje
Polčeva pot 11
Tel. : ++386 1 839 72 77
GPS Northing (N) : 46,2345
GPS Easting (E) : 14,6158