Please, evaluate the offer:

Church of St. Michael

Print Add to travel planner
Address: Biljana 5212 Dobrovo v Brdih

In the centre of this village, there is a church dedicated to St. Michael. The paintings done by the artist Clemente Del Neri around 1900 are almost hidden behind the gothic ribbed arch of the presbytery, dating from 1534. There are several wooden statues standing on the capital, among which the most important is The Resurrection of Christ from the first half of the 16 th century. The statue was done by craftsmen from South Tyrol. When the church was being remodelled in 1999, frescoes were found under the plaster – interestingly, the style of the frescoes was similar to the mentioned statue of the Resurrection. The frescoes behind the side altar prove that the original church used to be of the same size, which is, at the same time, a few times bigger than the rest of the churches that were built in this region during the Gothic period. The reason was probably the special status given to the church in Biljana. Today  the church is surrounded by mostly deserted houses, which are believed to have belonged to vicars who once lived here although they administered the major part of the Brda villages at the same time. The bell tower, resembling the towers from Acquilea, was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century by the stonemason from Kozana, Valentin Vuga.
 


TIC Brda 
Grajska cesta 10 
5212 
Dobrovo v Goriških Brdih 
Tel. : ++386 5 395 95 94 
Fax : ++386 5 395 95 95 
E-mail :  
Web site : www.brda.si 


guided tour
individual
Free of charge
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9966 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,5352 
Administrator : TIC Brda | ++386 5 395 95 94 | | last modified: 29/10/2013
View on map
GPS N: 45,9966
E: 13,5352

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year
Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)
Room/Apartment
Children
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more