Nevlje, 1240 Kamnik
Nevlje is one of the oldest villages in the area and the Parish church St. George was the first Parish church in the area.
St. George's Church on the Lake was erected in the 11th or in the beginning of the 12th century on the foundations of an old pagan temple. The present church was remodelled in Baroque style in the 18th century. The main altar is graced with a fresco by painter Franc Jelovšek, and the baptistery was designed and furnished by the celebrated architect Jože Plečnik who was already working in the Kamnik area at that time.
Legend has it, that the plain around Nevlje used to be a lake and the elevated part with St. George's Church used to be a little island. Mooring rings were sighted on church walls not long ago and therefore people call the church St. Geogre on the Lake.
In 1938 workers working on Nevljica stream and building a new bridge discovered extraordinary stumps that obstructed their work in layers of clay close to the church. Experts found out that the workers stumbled across a mammoth that lived here about 20,000 years ago.
Today skeleton is on exhibit in the Slovenian Museum of Natural History in Ljubljana.
Tel. : ++386 1 839 28 53
Free of charge
GPS Northing (N) : 46,2319
GPS Easting (E) : 14,6255