Address: Pomjan, 6274 Šmarje
At the entrance to the village is the succursal Church of Mary’s Birth, with frescoes from the 15th century and Glagolitic inscriptions (the oldest from 1439).
Bishop Paolo Naldini describes it as a small church but still spacious enough for three altars: the high altar is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the right to St. Valentine and the left to the Twelve Apostles.The northern wall of the nave remains from the original church that was later rebuilt and it features the remains of ornamental paintings in two strips. The upper strip showed the Adoration of the Magi on the left and the Stoning of St. Stephen on the right. The lower strip shows fragments of the Martyrdom of St. George on the Wheel and an image of St. George fighting the dragon. The ornamental paintings are distinguished by their rather high quality and are reminiscent of the early Venetian style and its soft-coloured light from the early 15th century - especially the faces from the legend of St. George. In the past, there was also the Church of St. Stephan in the immediate vicinity of Pomjan but that single-altar church is unfortunately not preserved.