Nova Štifta, Church of the Assumption (Marijino vnebovzetje)
Nova Štifta 3 1317 Sodražica
++386 1 836 99 43++386 41 739 595
This unusually shaped pilgrimage church stands on the viewing ridge above the valley. The exterior reveals a central plan with an exterior precinct and a dome-shaped roof. By the church stand the vicarage and several thick linden trees.
The church was built after 1641. Nova Štifta is the first example of the Lombardy type central plan, which introduced a model for Baroque architecture in Slovenia in forms of mannerism. Nova Štifta was followed by numerous similar constructions across the Dolenjska and Bela Krajina regions. The floor plan of the church is comprised of an accentuated octagonal nave and an octagon in the presbytery conformed to a square. On the upper floor the church opens up with double windows. Two leafy cupolas cover the areas. Above the triumphal arch is a smaller gallery. On the north side a bell tower has been added on. The ground floor has an arcaded precinct around a fairly large block, but not the presbytery. Pillars are seen on the exterior, probably the result of unfinished façades. The holy stairs were added in 1780 (plans by Lovrenc Prager, paintings by Andrej Postl).
The main altar is the work of the carver Jurij Scarnos. The pulpit, side altars and choir benches have been attributed to the same workshop. An unknown painter painted the double windows with portraits of the donators, a married couple named Trilegh. The stucco work in the vestry and the architecture connect the church with the Sanctuary of the Holy Trinity (sv. Trojica) at Vrhnika, a similar popular pilgrimage route.
The church is regularly maintained and the keys are kept at the vicarage.
Nova Štifta 3
Tel. : +386 1 836 99 43
Tel. 2 : +386 41 739 595
Fax : +386 1 836 99 44
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 45,7453
GPS Easting (E) : 14,6644