The church lies on the grassy plateau Nanos
a bit above Rebrnice. It is located at a height of 1019 metres. It takes 30 minutes to get from Vojkova koča to the church.
The shrine of St Hieronim stood there already in the 14th century. The church most probably got its present size and shape at the end of the 16th century or in the first quarter of the 17th century. It was demolished and abandoned, but consecrated once again in 1990. It is a pilgrimage church. The carved, gold plated altar is a peculiar curiosity.
According to oral tradition, Trieste sailors used to annually donate some 280 litres of oil to the church in the previous centuries so that there would be a light in the church at nights. The light served for orientating ships.
The interior wants to remind us of the hermit life of the saint the church is dedicated to. The marble altar with two columns was set when the church was renovated.
Glavni trg 1
Tel. : +386 5 368 70 41
Tel. 2 : +386 5 368 70 40
Fax : +386 5 368 70 41
Web site : www.izvirna-vipavska
GPS Northing (N) : 45,7792
GPS Easting (E) : 14,036