A popular thick stew that takes its name from the large pot in which it is cooked. It is a kind of goulash made with three different meats, spices, pepper, tomatoes, potato and, in season, fresh mushrooms. There is an annual bograč cooking competition. INGREDIENTS
250 g boneless beef
250 g pork
250 g hare or other venison meat (boar, deer)
4 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lard (or 100 ml oil)
1 fresh paprika
100 g tomatoes or 1 tbsp tomato sauce
2.5 g ground red paprika
500 g potatoes
200 ml red wine (such as the Blue Frankish wine)
1. Fry onions on oil, add diced beef, and stew. Add water, if needed.
2. Add diced venison and stew until the meat is half done.
3. Add also diced pork, sliced vegetables, spices, and ground paprika.
4. Add salt, mix, and boil over.
5. After some time spread the potatoes cut into segments over the top and cover with water making sure the potato is fully immersed. Cover the pot and stew until soft.
6. Pour wine and boil again.
7. Taste the dish and additionally season, if necessary.