Map of The cultural and historical trail of Most na Soči
: Tolmin museumAddress
: Mestni trg 4, 5220 TolminPhone
: ++386 5 381 13 61e-mail
The cultural and historical trail of Most na Soči takes us through the three thousand years
of the existence of Most na Soči.
The path begins in the town centre at the information terminal and goes through the town past 22 points with information and replicas of archaeological findings:
- Skyphos - a Greek ceremonial bowl,
Skyphos, a Greek ceremonial bowl from the 5th century B.C. found in Most na Soči, is decorated with a motive representing an owl between two olive branches. The owl, which in the Greek mythology was the sacred bird of the goddess of wisdom, shall guide us over Most na Soči towards greater wisdom (Replica, the original is kept in the Museum of Tolmin).
- bronze age settlement
The oldest piece of evidence showing that the pier at the confluence of the Idrijca and Soča rivers used to be inhabited is the ruins of the Bronze Age building. The building did not have stone foundations. The whole construction was leaning on props, dug into a cave and surrounded by a pile of stones. Pieces of kitchen pottery dating back to the period of the middle to the late Bronze Age (1200 – 1000 B.C) were discovered inside the building.
- Saint Lucy’s church
The construction began in 1584, it was consecrated in 1612. Restoration of the church of St. Lucia, which was utterly demolished during the 1st World War, was on account of several interruptions, completed in 1940. The restoration plans were made by a painter, sculptor and an architect Tone Kralj. Between the years 1927-29 monumental altar icons were created and only a decade later the artist and his St. Lucia compatriots managed to achieve the set aim. The scenes from the Way of the Cross and the Apostles Gathering were wonderfully painted below the arches of picturesque partitioned nave. The architectonic simpler presbytery features pictorial tale of martyrdom of the church’s patroness and the ceiling unfolds the apotheosis of the color and the light – The Glorification of St. Lucia.
Before the 2nd World War Tone Kralj joined the representatives of the New Realism (the oil paintings of St. Lucia were created during his stay in Venice), whose elements are usually subject committed theme, intimism, color symbolism, mastering the monumental form and references to traditional themes. The latter during the period of Kralj’s artistic expressions in the Primorska region was not only a choice of aesthetics but also a moral pose and historically dependant ethical standpoint. Source: dr. Igor Kranjc
- Clay roughcast
from an Iron-Age house, 5th century B.C.
- Archaeological museum
An ongoing archaeological exhibit, featuring the reconstruction of the Hallstattan house, portrays the history of archaeological research at Most na Soči with an emphasis on Iron Age culture and architecture in the Posočje region.
- Bronze mouse figurine (in a museum)
- Foundation of the early iron age house and settlement
House n.1:The excellently preserved remains of the Iron Age house speak of the uniqueness of the Posočje architecture of the period. The building entrance faces south-east, away from wind. There was a door-shed above the entrance.
House n.11:One of the most revealing foundations of the Iron Age building from the 5th century B.C. served as a model for drawn reconstruction and serving as the model of the Posočje Iron Age house, now on display at the Tolmin Museum in Tolmin.
- The settlement in the Late Iron Age
The settlement existed also in the Late Iron Age. The buildings, dating back to the late Iron Age that were explored, have preserved their original settlement space, the manner of the setting and direction and the construction with the solid stone foundation and wood framework. Their external facade was less appealing than that of their predecessors’ from the early Iron Age village. Approximately two thousand years ago the architectural features of the Iron Age were replace by a completely different Roman architecture.
- Roman settlement
The name of the Roman settlement that reached its peak in the 3rd and 4th century remains unknown. The settlement appeared to be somewhat smaller than its predecessor for the old Iron Age. The majority of the buildings were constructed in the immediate vicinity to the demolished prehistorical housings.
The new feature at the roman housing construction was the use of mortar as cement. The foundations were made of bigger stone blocks and the structures were only plastered from inside. In comparison to the prehistoric period the houses also gained in size (up to 27 x 7 m), which changed the ground plan design that became more dynamic.
We are situated in the courtyard (atrium) of a Roman house. The smaller part of the building, raised above the courtyard was used as the living quarters. The major part of the building was the covered courtyard, where the main household chores and farm work as well as the social life took place. The building complex had a sweating room (sudarium), which was practically a small square watertight and pressurized room with a stone bench and a hearth beneath it.
- Roman cemetery
The Romans buried their dead by the roads leading out of the settlement. At the far eastern area of the settlement complex, some ten meters away from the place where we are currently situated, a Roman graveyard extended with a total of 164 discovered tombs. Besides cremation burials also skeleton burials were executed. The latter were a feature of the late Antiquity period. This was the era when Christianity was in full swing over the whole empire.
- At St. Maurus
The church is, by being firstly mentioned in 1192, the oldest church in the settlement and its surroundings. Also the first known reference to the area of Most na Soči is linked to this small church: In ponte Sancti Mauri, St. Mauro, Sankt Maurus Bruck. It is dedicated to St. Maurus that was the disciple of St. Benedict and thus consequently his successor. The legend says that he should hold immense healing powers thus the ill will always seek his help. He is the patron of charcoalers and coppersmiths.
- house of writer Ivan Pregelj
"It stood most oddly, characteristically though, along the bank under the Kuk hill; with its front cutting west, supported on its lower side by its own addition. Ancient, shockingly poor, Lord have mercy, with some visible features of old glamour. That is to say it was built by come churchman for him to be lived in when he is old and retired. The attic clearly stated that originally it was covered by slate, though raised later in order to be covered by a steep thatched roof. And so it was leaning, quite high above the village, in the sheer slope exposed to all thunderstorms from west to south, for its rooftop to be
torn off and for us, children inside, to be utterly scared and frightened during the nights when the summer storms in that basin did not sink form dust till dawn; a feature, on which acknowledged researcher of natural sciences and antiquarian Vyrchow, a witness to this natural phenomena, would doubtlessly have agreed with me. Without deep foundations, set crookedly, askew, onto the slope with one ground floor, black, sooty kitchen with a room and a chamber above a stable and a cellar, where saltpeter grew irrepressibly over the walls it offered a shelter to a modest family."
- urns from the iron age graves
- iron age graveyard
We are situated at »Testenčena ograjnica« at the heart of an extensive Iron Age graveyard. The biggest archeological excavations here were made by the Vienna and Trieste museums between 1884 and 1902. Already at that time more than 6.500 Iron Age graves were uncovered and explored. Probably the number of all buried people at this graveyard is around 10.000.
The burial traditions of the old inhabitants of the Posočje region did not alter through the whole 1st millenium B.C. The dead were cremated and the remains were, with the clothing of the deceased and his possessions, scattered on the bottom of the grave or placed into urns. The graves were covered with the stone plates. Bronze bracelets, necklaces, rings and fibulas are the additions that are most notable among the excavated artifacts. If a deceased was a male, his remains were also complemented by a weapon; usually consisting of an iron axe and a spear; this tradition was not known prior to 4th century B.C.
Numerous additions prove a blossoming cultural exchange with the regions of Southern Italy and Greece, which is furthermore confirmed by the findings of the vessel from the Attic workshops. The riches of personal contacts are represented, on a symbolical level, by the surface of the memorial area, covered by decorative volcanic sand from the slopes of the Mediterranean volcanoes.
- “Tolmin bridgehead” museum
The small museum exhibits about 1000 items of the Italian, Austro-Hungarian, and German armies, which were found in the territory of the 15th corps (from Avč to Batognica).
- Old-Slavic settle grounds
Also on the Repelc fallow, across the river, the dead were buried in the Iron Age and the Roman period. A special interest, within this burial ground, holds a pit with two handmade pieces of earthenware. The vessels from the end of the 7th or the beginning of the 8th century are namely the oldest trace of the old-Slavic settlers in the Tolmin region.
- the back-lines of the Isonzo front - In the front's hinterland
Most na Soči held a very important role between the years of 1915 - 1917. It was an important Austro-Hungarian hinterland post, which provided the front line on the hills of Selski vrh, Mengore and Bučenica with a complete military infrastructure. The aggressing, Italian army, did not manage to break through the front line in all its eleven attempts. In spite of continuous artillery fire the majority of civilians remained in the region. In October 1917 the Austro-Hungarian and German army set forth from the slopes of Selski vrh, Mengore and Bučenica. They confronted the enemy on the mountain ridge of Kolovrat, where the battle, the key moment of the breakthrough of the Soča front occurred.
- From stone to lime
The restored lime-kiln tells the story of an exceptionally important activity that has been almost extinct nowadays; namely lime kilning. Lime-burners needed for burning (kilning) of lime a satisfactory amount of lime and logs and a vicinity of water. The needs for lime were high in the construction industry, mechanic industry, leather industry but also for disinfection and painting of the apartments. Old lime-kilns bore resemblance to huge baskets of interlaced hazel tree or beech tree rods. The lime-kiln from Modrejce belongs among better preserved specimens from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. According to the oral tradition this lime-kiln was after the 1st World War used only for the purposes of lime slaking.
- The lake
In 1938 the region faced the biggest change in terms of its appearance. After the dam construction at Podselo the channels of Soča and Idrijca were over flown with water. The result was a creation of a 7km long reservoir lake and thus Most na Soči was turned into the area by the lake. Well maintained lake banks invite the day strollers to an exhibition of artworks made at the traditional fine-arts summer school.
- Water spring “Pod grmom"
"Pod grmom" (by the bush) is one of the fresh water sources, which the surroundings of Most na Soči prides on. Water flow from this wellspring doesn’t stop even during the driest periods and holds a constant temperature through the whole year. According to the oral tradition the water from this wellspring cures eye troubles.
Also the legend of Saint Lucia is linked to the subject of eyes and sight. Lucia was born during the Roman period around the year 286 in Sicily. She tore eyes out in order to avoid a marriage to a young pagan and to keep her vow of virginity and her Christian beliefs. She is depicted by painters holding her eyes on a tray in her right hand..
Tourist Board Sotočje - TIC Tolmin
Petra Skalarja 4
Tel. : ++386 5 38 00 480
Fax : ++386 5 38 00 483
Web site : www.dolina-soce.com