Kulturno društvo Trebnje
Klemenčičeva ulica 3 8210 Trebnje
++386 31 346 981, ++386 7 304 57 39
The 18 kilometre circular Baraga Hiking Trail connects the important pebbles of the mosaic of life of Frederic Irenaeus Baraga in the area of the Municipality of Trebnje. The trail is marked and starts at the Parish Church of the Assumption of Mary, which was Baraga’s home parish from 1799 to 1824. The trail continues past the
Trebnje Castle towards Baraga’s birthplace in the village of Mala vas.
From the Baraga Homestead it carries on past the village of Knežja vas into the town of Dobrnič, which lies in the middle of a fertile karst depression, and is the centre of the northern part of the region Dry Carniola. The old town centre is a rounded square with the parish church of St. George from 1777. Here the baptismal font,
over which Baraga was baptised, and his bust, which was revealed for the 100th anniversary of his birth, are preserved.
From Dobrnič the trail continues towards the scattered hillside settlement of Vrhtrebnje, past the 15th Meridian marker, to the highest point of the trail: Trebni vrh (581m). In the end it descends back to the Trebnje Castle, which was the home of Baraga from 1799 to 1812, and later even his property.
Compiled and edited by Alja Rabzelj Duration of tour
Translated by Barbara Markelc
: 5 hour
Coursearound the valley
Range of hiking availablegroup tours
Goliev trg 5
Tel. : 07 34 81 128
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9139
GPS Easting (E) : 15,0092