Laško – in the embrace of thermal springs
As early as in Roman times, Laško was known as a spa town. It was frequented by Roman legionaries, in the Middle Ages by missionaries and from then until the end of the 19th century, become a popular summer resort regularly visited by the Austro-Hungarian emperor Franz Josef I. These visitors were all here for the health benefits. Nowadays, people come to ‘the Confluence of Good’, as this destination is called, for their well-being and relaxation; despite the popularity of this spa destination, all this is possible while still being in touch with nature and tradition.
On the basis of its rich thermal tradition, Laško has managed to integrate natural resources, top-level medical knowledge, local features and stories into excellent tourist products. The Laško destination, ‘Confluence of Good’, has a venerable 160-year tradition of spa activities and a 60-year tradition of medical rehabilitation activities, while also being known for its excellent beer.
Laško is accessible from the highway in only 15 minutes, which means that you can reach any part of Slovenia from Laško within an hour or two. The perfect starting point to explore Slovenia! It has everything under its own roof and is, at the same time, away from the tourist bustle from which people like to escape.
Our hints for exploring Laško and its surroundings:
- The unspoiled and diverse landscape of the Laško surroundings entice you toward the exploration of numerous pleasant areas and is an excellent starting point for trips and active leisure time in nature. On a bicycle or on the hiking trails, you will definitely never be bored, since all paths lead past the rich natural, cultural-historic and ethnological heritage. A detailed cycling and hiking guide is also available.
- Walks through the Spa park along the Savinja River to the town, jump to the Tabor castle and visit the Beer Museum nearby.
- The area known for its beekeeping tradition features gardens of honey plants, where the garden of honey plants in the spa park in Laško is equipped with signs written in Braille.
- In the Jurklošter Carthusian church, you can relive the love story of Friderik II. Celjski and Veronika Deseniška.
- At poet Anton Aškerc`s homestead, you can also learn about the sustainable keeping of chickens, traditional sheep cheese making and the making of other dairy products, along with the literary-ethnological heritage.
- The destination boasts one of the most renowned Slovenian Spas (Terme) - Thermana Laško. Try one of their unique honey or beer based therapies!
- Visit the local Laško Brewery! Try their excellent beer, most popular in Slovenia. Did you know that they long in the last made thermal beer?
Where to stay?
- You can choose between the Zdravilišče Laško hotel with its more than 155-year-old tradition of health and well-being, where beneficial thermal water has been integrated with top-level medical knowledge, on the basis of which preventive and rehabilitation programmes have been shaped, and the Wellness Park Laško hotel, where, in an ambiance of modern architecture, its entire philosophy was devoted to thermal water pleasures and relaxation and indulgent programs.
- You can also select the nearby Rimske terme, a recently restored spa complex, where the beneficiality of natural resources was first appreciated by the Romans, who built the first pools with warm, hot and cold water in 39 B.C.
Laško became a Slovenian EDEN destination in 2013 – for the development of accessible tourism.
INFORMATION: More information about the destination and assistance for programmes can be obtained from the local tourist organisation STIK Laško.