Address: Railway station, Kolodvorska 8, 5000 Nova Gorica
Phone: +386 5 335 98 11, +386 5 333 11 40
The end of the Second World War, in May 1945, aroused discussions between the Yugoslav Federal People's Republic (FLRJ) and the Italian Realm inherent the national appurtenance of the Slovenian Littoral, occupied both by the Slovenian and the Italian population. The Yugoslav territorial revendications, sustained also by the Soviet Union, met with oppositions from the Western Allied countries, which defended their own military, strategic and political interests.
The question of the boundary and the belonging of Trst (Trieste), Gorica (Gorizia) and of other localities became an international controversy and this led to negotiations and to agreements between the Western Allied countries and Yugoslavia. The latter committed itself to the fact that the question concerning the ownership of the controversial territory would be resolved by the Peace Conference with Italy. The controversial territory had been divided, to the Rapallo border, with the so-called Morgan Line into two occupation areas: into Zone “A” and Zone “B”. The boundary line ran west of the railroad links Trbiž (Tarvisio) - Predel (Passo di Predil) - Most na Soči (Santa Lucia) - Gorica (Gorizia) - Trst (Trieste). The Yugoslav army was obliged to abandon the western part of the territory in question, i.e. the Zone “A”, which got occupied by the Allied Armed Forces.
The international negotiations concerning a democratic, fair Yugoslav-Italian national border and the destiny of Trst (Trieste), Gorica (Gorizia) and of other localities went on from autumn 1945 to the end of 1946. In March and April 1946 these areas had been visited by the Interallied Commission composed of experts of the Great Four Allies, who drafted a report stating among others the proposals related to the delimitation line. The resolutions, based on their ascertainments, were later on submitted to the Counsel of Foreign Ministers. The conference in Paris, taking place between 22nd April and 12th July 1946, was also participated by the Yugoslav delegation, whose members disagreed with the proposals concerning the delimitation line between the Yugoslav Federal People's Republic (FLRJ) and the Italian Realm /since 2nd June 1946 the Italian Republic.
The Peace Conference in Paris, which took place between the 29th July and 15th October 1946, approved and co-validated the French proposals relative to the delimitation boundary between the Yugoslav Federal People's Republic (FLRJ) and the Republic of Italy. On 10th February 1947 the Treaty of Peace with the Republic of Italy was signed. The treaty determined that the Yugoslav Federal People's Republic (FLRJ) would acquire Zadar (Zara) and Rjeka (Fiume) as well as parts of the province of Pulj (Pola), Trst (Triste) and of Gorica (Gorizia). The Republic of Italy got Val Canale, Rezija (Val Resia), Beneška Slovenija (Slavia Veneta) and Gorica (Gorizia).
The provisions of the Peace Treaty were put into effect on 15th September 1947, after they had been submitted to the French Government. In the Gorizia area a new national delimitation line was traced between the Yugoslav Federal People's Republic (FLRJ) and the Italian Republic; however, it did not ultimately regulate the question of the state border.
The relations between Yugoslavia and Italy started to improve in the 30-year post-war period following the Treaty. This could be felt especially on the political field, as well as what regards the small border crossing and this kept increasing at full speed. After long diplomatic negotiations and the assiduous work of experts hidden to the public eye the two parts agreed, stipulated an agreement and signed the Treaty of Osimo on the 10th November 1975. The Slovenian occidental border, the then Yugoslav Federal Socialist Republic (SFRJ) and the Republic of Italy, was finally definitely internationally approved. The Treaty of Osimo brought also some corrections to diverse territorial questions of the Gorizia region.
On the 15th September 1947 the building of the railway station of Nova Gorica came under Yugoslavia. Its square was divided into two parts, so that the entry into the edifice was only 35 meters distant from the state border. Till the year 1954 there was a barbed wire long the border line and the entrance door of the railway station building did not open onto the square. After 1954 the barbed wire was replaced by a fence made of a half a meter high wall with cement pillars on top and a wire net stretching between them. A lot of further changes have been made within the area of the railway station of Nova Gorica after the Treaty of 1975; by these changes the city of Nova Gorica provided to the implementation of road connections along the state border. In the year 2004 part of the fence was removed, so that a square was formed where relatives, friends, acquaintances and people of good will from the two parts of the state board between the Slovenia and Italy, both members of the European Union, would meet, as they used to.
winter (November 1st – April 30th): Mon to Fri from 1 pm - 5 pm
Sat, Sun from 12 pm - 5 pm.
summer ( May 1st – October 31st ):
Mon to Fri from 1 pm - 5 pm,
Sat, Sun from 12 pm - 7 pm.
Closed on the 1st January, Easter Sunday, 1st November, 25th December