Koper - Capodistria, 6000 Koper
++386 5 663 35 70, ++386 5 663 35 77
The museum was founded in the beginning of 1911 as the Town Museum for History and Art (Mestni muzej za zgodovino in umetnost / Museo civico di storia e d`arte). Since the end of WWI, the Belgramoni-Tacco Palce has been housing the museum. In 1954 the former Town Museum (Mestni muzej) expanded into the Koper District Museum (Okrajni muzej Koper), and in 1967 it was renamed the Koper Regional Museum, which operates in the area of the municipalities of Koper, Izola, Piran, Ilirska Bistrica and Hrpelje-Kozina.
Located in the central building on the ground floor is the Arheological collection, which displays the oldest material culture of the coastal-karst region. A Lapidarium is arranged in the museum garden, where mainly stone material of different kinds and style periods from Antique to Baroque is displayed supplemented by heraldic and epigraphic materials.
The Art and cultural-historical collection displays sculptures, paintings and arts and crafts works - Early Medieval sculptures, decorative elements of Venetian secular building from the Romantic period and stone from the 14th and 15th centuries. Glagolitic inscriptions, custodies and fresco paintings with copies of some very diverse examples (the Dance of Death from Hrastovlje); sculptures, paintings and arts and crafts works of the Venetian cultural circle supplemented by furniture fittings from the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Collection of contemporary history of South Primorska in the pavilion by the museum's lapidary displays the national and political struggle of Istrian Slovenians and inhabitants of Primorska at the turn of the 20th century, the period of denationalization, fascist pressure and anti-fascist battles between both world wars, during WWII and the resistance movement in the area of south Primorska, and the post-war period in B STO zone and the diplomatic battle which lasted until 1954 (the London memorandum), when that area was finally ceded to Yugoslavia.
The Ethnological collection is displayed at the Venetian Gothic house from the 14th century, which stands at the edge of the former city walls in the square Gramscijev trg. On display is the material and spiritual culture of Slovenian Istria, Brkini, Čičarija and a part of Karst from the 17th century on.
In Piran on Kajuhova Street 17 in the Tartini house is Tartini's memorial room, which presents the life of the famous violin virtuoso, composer, musical theoretic and pedagogue of world renown who was born in Piran in 1692 and spent the majority of his youth there.