The park was built in front of the house of the successful industrial and landowning family of Kotnik in the 19th century. It is located on the place of three ruined farms by the river Ljubljanica. The park contains many exotic trees, a Ginkgo, brought back to Slovenia by Kotnik's daughter on return from her honeymoon in China in 1883. The tree is one of the oldest Ginkgos in Europe.
The park was originally surrounded by a brick fence, into which was built a small spa house, over a warm spring by the Ljubljanica. Sited by the road was a small chapel dedicated to St. Florian. The chapel was destroyed at the end of WWII. On the site of the chapel is now a memorial dedicated to Partisans from Verd who lost their lives in the NOB (Narodnoosvobodilna borba - Yugoslav people's national liberation struggle during World War II). The monument consist of a rock monolith with granite plates into which is engraved the names of the victims. On top of the monument is a bronze statue by sculptor Boris Kalin.