Tolmin–Kobarid Land of Living Water
The Soča Valley is the most attractive Slovenian hub for outdoor activities. The protected area of Triglav National Park boasts remarkable landmarks, panoramas and views; cycling tours there include visits to unique World War I heritage sites.
The Soča, nestled among the jewels of the Julian Alps, and its tributaries have created countless waterfalls, pools, ravines, springs and canyons, which command admiration and capture the imagination of the sharp-eyed visitor. It is easy and fun to explore these half-hidden places by bicycle. Also, the mountainous terrain holds many challenges for well-trained cyclists.
As many as 73 cycling tours are included in the guidebooks covering the areas around Kobarid and Tolmin. The tours run through the Soča Valley, along and above the Nadiža River, through the Bača Gorge, across Trebuša and the Šentvid Plateau, and reach across the former Italian border to Venetian Slovenia. The tours are 20–50 km long and come in three difficulty grades. The first grade denotes routes suitable for families, the second for intermediate cyclists and the third for advanced riders. The easy tours lead through valleys and across plateaus, whereas the more difficult ones, with an elevation gain of up to 2,000 m, run along mountain roads and cart tracks in the rolling foothills of the Julian Alps. Five tours lead to Triglav National Park. All the tours available are circular.
The Along the Princess package includes:
- 2x half board at Hotel Hvala****,
- an easy guided cycling tour along the Soča,
- a visit to the Kobarid Museum,
- energy snack, and sauna.
Price: EUR 209 per person (for groups of 4+).
The Around Bučenica package includes:
- 2x half board at Hotel Lucija***,
- an easy guided cycling tour around Most na Soči,
- sauna and one massage.
Price: EUR 125 per person.
Outdoor sports (hiking, paragliding, kayaking, rafting, hydrospeed, canyoning, rock climbing),
fishing, cultural and natural attractions of Triglav National Park (Tolmin Gorges, Javorca), the
Walk of Peace – open-air WWI museums, museum train and Bohinj Railway autotrain.
Maps and guidebooks
- Kobarid – The Nadiža Valley – Tolmin tourist and cycling map, plus the 28 Circular Cycling Tours guidebook (Sl, De, It, En, Fr)
- MTB guide Slowenien: 30 Mountainbiketouren im Soča-Tal (in German)
- The Soča Valley Mountain Bike Guide (43 tours; Sl, En)
Cycling tour profile
Total distance: 2,271km
No. of tours: 73
Marked routes: 1
Lowest point: 167 m above sea level
Highest point: 1,490 m above sea level
- Road and MTB Uphill Race to Široko, 15 August every year
- The Three Nations’ International Cycling Marathon (Italy, Austria, Slovenia) – June every year
Tel. : ++386 5 380 04 90
Web site : www.dolina-soce.com
Petra Skalarja 4
Tel. : ++386 5 380 04 80
Web site : www.lto-sotocje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,184
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7328