The public library is located in Oskar Laubhaimer’s onetime villa, built in 1906. The second part of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century (until 1914) was a time, when in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy the predominating style in architecture was Historism. Oskar Laubhaimer’s onetime villa and the adjoining onetime office of a notary are exceptional pieces of architecture, which meet the standards of a complete artwork (»gesamtkunstwerk«), characteristic of baroque style.
This neo-baroque building is decorated with four corner belfries, baroque ornaments and decorative gutter and chimney endings. The interior is truncated today, but there is an authentic stucco work with garland-shaped plant and flower ornamentation on the ceiling of the reception room, and the ceiling of the onetime music room is decorated with figurines.
From the interior fittings, the stained glass windows, mosaic floor tiles and the profusely ornamented wood flooring is preserved. As an important part of the entirety, the smaller building on the courtyard should be mentioned, where the onetime office of a notary was located and the skilfully shaped courtyard fence which rounds up the overall appearance of this neobaroque architectural masterpiece. During the war, there was a warehouse, barracks and the forest administration. The public library has been located here since 1976. In Lendava, a library in an institutional sense was established in as late as 1964. Before that, there were only private libraries which could be used only by a small number of people.
Lendava Library covers seven municipalities. It includes 12 local libraries, 5 of which are bilingual.
The aim of the library is a permanent and undisturbed library management and to suit users’ educational, informational and cultural needs. It includes Slovene and Hungarian materials. The collection includes more than 130.000 units of materials, 30 % of which is in Hungarian language.
The reading room is located in the beautiful secessional hall and offers 24 study desks, approximately 3000 units of literature and approximately 200 periodical publications in Slovene, Hungarian and also in German, Croatian and English language.